Find
Notify
Tools

Question about split stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
I have a possible problem with the stock on my H&R model 340 7x57mauser. I recently took the action and barrel off of the stock and I think I spotted a crack or split between the hole for the magazine well and the trigger. Is this something that might affect accuracy? If so will a crossbolt be able to fix this?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A true crossbolt will fix it, but it's overkill IMO. You can probably just spread the crack and get some epoxy into it and clamp it until it cures. Or one of Brownells brass repair pins will also work. After installation, you can countersink the ends of the pin below the surface and plug the countersinks with a piece of dowel and epoxy. You might see if some wood needs to be relieved at the rear of magazine well.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks glen I will try the epoxy route.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I think the crossbolt is a much classier fix and pretty easy. If you pick up the kit (B-Square, Brownells) it couldn't be any easier. Before the kit I did a few using shims to level the stock on a standard drill press, with a properly sized Forstner bit for the crossbolt head relief.

In the area you are talking about, you would have to do it the latter way as the jig is for the area behind the recoil lug. I usually do both now, the extra crossbolt is only a few bucks.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote