New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Fwt bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 2008 featherweight deluxe (the first run of SC guns) that I would like to adjust the trigger pull on. However, the action appears to be mechanically locked into the stock by whatever bedding process they used at the factory. This seems to more substantial than the hot glue bedding used on the NH models, and I'm afraid that if I apply too much force I'm going to damage the stock. There is almost no play after the action screws and bottom metal is removed. Does anyone know what type of bedding was used or have any suggestions for removing the barreled action from the stock short of taking it to the smith?

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
My moneys on the hot melt glue bedding. Flip the gun upside down and rest the butt stock across your thigh while gripping the forearm with your fingers and give the barrel a few sharp whacks with a rubber mallet until is starts to behave. If you are lucky the barreled action will come out of the stock with the bedding attached which will save you much time and aggravation when you re-bed it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you're going to pull it to adjust the trigger, don't bother; there are no adjustments to be made on the new Model 70 trigger.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TT
According to the manual, the new trigger is adjustable for both weight and overtravel. I believe the minimum weight is three pounds, however.
John

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got the action out by heating the front ring area with a hair dryer for a couple of minutes. It popped out pretty easily after that.

The bedding method is different than what was used on the NH guns. It looks more like a real glass bed job than the glob of hot glue previously used, but is still not quite as hard as the glass compounds I have used.
John

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've only had two of them in the shop and both had triggers with no adjustments possible. If they're now made with adjustable triggers that's a big improvement.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote