New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lathe Spider
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kory, most of us make our own. Some spindles are threaded some are not. I used a piece of brass and four set screws to make mine. I use nylon 1/4-28 hex head screws to hold the end of the barrel that comes out the spider end of the headstock.
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I've been searching the web trying to find a manufacturer of a lathe spider for chambering at the spindle. So far, I have not found anything, maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

Does anyone know of such a company?

Regads,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Kory, most of us make our own. Some spindles are threaded some are not. I used a piece of brass and four set screws to make mine. I use nylon 1/4-28 hex head screws to hold the end of the barrel that comes out the spider end of the headstock.
Bill

Hi Bill,

That's kind of what I was thinking if I couldn't find anything. The backside of the spindle on my lathe (Hardinge HLV-H) is not threaded. The HLV-H is a daintly little lathe, so I'm concerned about how to secure the spindle to the spindle in a secure manner. I'm afraid set screws may burr the outside of the collar. Maybe a split bushing with two screws on each end? Maybe I'm being overly concerned?

Reagrds,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The spider does not have to be attached to the spindle. The set screws hold the barrel centered in the spider which turns the same rpm as the spindle. You only need to have a way to keep the spider centered in the spindle and that is easily done by turning a short section to fit inside the spindle or boring out a short section to fit over the outside of the spindle.

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote