New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Re-line ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a nice octagon to round, with integral rib + front sight in 30-06. I just wish it was in a calibre I could use more, I'm thinking 6mm Rem.
Would a re-line be possible, has anyone done this and how were the results.
I'm trying not to muck with the external barrel profile. Any comment(s) will be appreciated. --- John

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Few will recommend re-line jobs for high pressure cartridges, it leaves you with some fairly thin chamber walls and is usually only done with 22s and pistol calibers; but a re-bore might work; there are some here who have had it done and they will chime in soon. Just re-name your post, "rebore guy wanted".
Of course, not to a smaller caliber.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Relining high intensity cartridges has been done. Personally I would never do it for safety reasons and cost.

The fact remains that if you reline a barrel you need to start with a new barrel to make the liner. With the machining required it would be cheaper to start from scratch. In today's age of CNCs I'm sure there must be gunshops out there that are doing quarter rounds and half round octagons with ribs. Anyone with a 4th axis machine could do it. It would really be no harder than octagoning or fluting. Actually I do know guys that have done it with conventional mills and a dividing head or spacer and I have done IPSC pistol barrels that way. It's just more labor intensive. Making one is not a problem. Polishing the fool thing after would be a lot of hand work and not much fun at all.

I have even seen some really talented and resourceful guys buckshee octagons and the like with conventional equipment.

http://www.practicalmachinist....rel-my-lathe-291506/

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He wants to go small !Get a new barrel like one in 25-06 It will save a lot of fooling around !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wayne York of Oregunsmithing does high quality barrel lining as well as being accuracy freak.

Located in Pendleton, Oregon.

www.oregunsmithingllc.com

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He only does relining on low pressure cartridges; as I said, no one today will do a high pressure reline job for liability reasons. You end up with a really thin liner wall, and a very thin barrel wall at the chamber, and while it will hold, it just is not ideal. Maybe for a .223 case head size on a target barrel.. Or a big thread barrel size. The thing is, you are shooting the liner; you can't depend on the original barrel to provide any support,

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you work up a soft shooting load with say a 123gn bullet and it will do everything a 6mm will do without the recoil of a full 30-06 load.

Ok not a 30-06 but with full house factory 173 gn loads at 2800 fps my 7mm is not nice to shoot, but with 140 gn at 2600 fps it's easy and lot less fuss than my 243. Only thing it won't do as well is long range foxes, but that's more due to optics than anything else. On deer the 7mm is more effective and much less damage.

Cost - a bit of time and some bullets.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John303.:
I have a nice octagon to round, with integral rib + front sight in 30-06. I just wish it was in a calibre I could use more, I'm thinking 6mm Rem.
Would a re-line be possible, has anyone done this and how were the results.
I'm trying not to muck with the external barrel profile. Any comment(s) will be appreciated. --- John

Contact Dennis Olsen.

http://www.manta.com/c/mm8brfm/olson-gunsmithing-inc

His reline jobs are a little more than 1/2 the cost of fitting a new barrel.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nope, would not recommend it..

I would suggest that you have it rebored to a 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, or any caliber that will clean up the bore. I have used Norm Johnson with High Plains Reboring and had fantastic luck with his work..nrjonsn@Westriv.com

If you decide otherwise I would be interested in purchasing that barrel from you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote