New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth rifle scope mounting holes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have recently seem two and maybe three Whitworths that have the scope mounting holes drilled off center of the action and barrel to the degree that when bases are installed, they are visibly offset. These are obviously factory drilled and tapped.

Has anyone else seen similar misdrilled holes?

Is this a chronic problem?

On one rifle, it probably is not possible to get the crosshairs over the bore.

Let's hear your horror stories.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Huntingcat,
No horror story here sir. My Whitworth and BobC's seem to be just fine. Be glad to compare the two if you'd like.
I have Leupold mounts on mine, with a Swarovski 1.5-4.5 20mm.

I live in the Houston area. Be glad to get together sometime. Please email me at rkmojo@aol.com

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a Whitworth, but a 1970's vintage Mark X had the rear bridge drilled crooked. It was impossible to use two-piece bases. Fortunately, a one-piece base fits okay.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Talley QD's on my Whitworth and they lined up perfectly.

Posts: 1527 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Owned a lot of Whitworths and never had that problem...sometime eyesight is not the best of tests..try mounting a scope first and see what happens...

If they are off then carefull redrill and retap with an 8/40 may correct it, if not then it gets a bit more complicated, hopefully its the rear thats out of line.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I needed to do some tweaking on my Whitworth. I got it with Talley bases and rings, found out that I had run out of vertical adjustment, shooting about 8 inches low with scope maxxed out. Talley made me a new rear base, no charge, and now it's shooting fine. I don't know the cause, but it's fixed now. Bobc

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote