New
Find
Notify
Tools

Juglans regia all Natural
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Juglans regia ; English Walnut all natural a few of my trees 65-154 Years old .

Last year I cut 62 Ft. off the top as the crown weight was becoming an enormous strain on the branches,

not to mention the 42" Dia. base measured 24" above ground level .

Enjoy the pictures as I promised I'd post some of them , this is from the North West 80 section .

Range an Home are behind on the Mountain which isn't in the pictures . There are 62 total Walnut trees

which line each side of an old creak which sadly has water about 2-3 months of a year if we're lucky .

It's impossible to get all the trees in one or two pictures as they actually line two creaks which flow in

different directions , North an South East an West about 300 yards apart .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I like! tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunstocks on the "root"!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Juglans regia ; English Walnut all natural a few of my trees 65-154 Years old .

"which line each side of an old creak which sadly has water about 2-3 months of a year if we're lucky" .

Doc, isn't this a good thing as far as the resulting wood is concerned in as far as the struggle for water keeps the growth slow and gives a tighter grain structure.

Incidentally there was an old Latvian chap where I did my trade in the 60's. He had had to do 12 months in the forest to see how the trees grew in certain conditions and the next 6 months in a saw mill to see the timber as it came from those trees so he could apreciate what properties certain growing condidions afforded the resulting wood. This was at the start of his cabinet making trade training.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doc, isn't this a good thing as far as the resulting wood is concerned in as far as the struggle for water keeps the growth slow and gives a tighter grain structure.

Like everything in life there are pros an cons . Too little water causes stress which brings gophers an

insects erratic growth periods , while too much water causes root rot, fungus an unnecessarily large ring pore .

If we had Dbl or triple our annual rainfall , IMO it would be Ideal as we would be talking 36" of rain Max.

With 9-11 " average rainfall we're not exactly residing in Eden here .

Several weeks of triple digit temperatures doesn't make things any easier , Kind of like Arizona an Texas

when it's Hot like the last few days ,it's DAMMED HOT !. Triple digits is keeping me off the range .

Shortly I'll be leaving on my hunting trips and cooler weather ,which will be GREATLY APPRECIATED !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Doc----Ok have got 2 bars and 8 loops of chain and a new sprocket for my big saw ready to go!!!

Let me know where and I will cut them down for you to make room for more grass! Looks like fine pasture going to waste Frowner.

Will even haul off some of the wood from the trees ---- all at no charge because I am such a nice guy wave!!!!!!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boss Hoss: Will even haul off some of the wood

Wink Yeah, bet I know which part too !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain Saws ? Eeker

Was this your handy work ?.

For firewood these are mighty hard to beat saves the ole back !.

None of my walnut trees will see the above fate,more like log blanks and lumber in a few years .

Civilization is encroaching on us as urban dwellers move too Rural America an then want to pave an cement

everything . I'm personally all in favor of letting them move too New York city and skyscraper apartments !!!

salute archer archer

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Doc---have felled a lot of trees over the years esp when I was younger and it still pains me to cut down a good healthy one! Mostly old growth cedar and what we call post oaks here. You are lucky----those trees will not survive in my part of the state.

Good luck on your hunts!!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote