Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Just one opinion but the better stocks like McMillan are built well enough that pillars in the action screw area are unecessary. Less robust stocks like lower end Bell and Carson have primarily foam in that area which crushes easily without pillars. Good stock wood (I believe) is hard enough that pillars are a waste but in most any of the cases above glass bedding is of benefit. The only exception I would make to that statement is a fine custom rifle inletted by someone with the skill to make it unneeded.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don B., I have a bunch (9, and 2 more on the way) of SAKO 75's that I have restocked with McMillans, they don't need pillar bedding, and the fit is so good that the 2 I glass bedded had virtually no glass in 'em. I can't tell any accuracy difference between them, I guess I have been lucky, all of mine are real shooters. I have had recoil reducers installed in a couple of my Magnum calibers when the stocks were made, and that was a good thing! I think if you just drop in your barreled actions and screw them in tight (I use a little thread locker) you'll be happy.
Regards, Fish(Don D.)

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you need to bed them is a moderate sized dollop of Marine-Tex. Pillars would just be gilding the lilly.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote