New
Find
Notify
Tools

J-Lock removal on Rem. Model 7
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about buying a model 7 with the j-lock and, if I do, the lock will have to go......

It's no problem finding the parts to replace the j-lock on a 700, but I haven't been able to locate the parts for a model 7......

Anybody know where and what to get for the conversion???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I thought about having Gentry install their 3-way mod 70 safety on mine. They really make a 700 look better to me.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
isn't the shroud the same on the m7 as on the 700? That should be easy enough to find

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try calling Remington since they probably still carry the Non-ISS parts for the Model 7. I know they still carry them for the 700's because I just bought two brand new 700 actions in the box and they do not have the ISS feature.

I know the firing pin and spring are shorter on Model 7's than on 700's but I'm not sure if the shroud is the same. For what its worth, the part number's aren't the same.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shrouds are NOT the same.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GonHuntin:
The shrouds are NOT the same.........

I kinda thought they would be since the part numbers are different. I've always found the tech guys at Remington to be pretty helpful...they could probably at least point you in the right direction. The Remington web site also has a Links section for older parts for their rifles that they don't carry any longer.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bump

Hasn't anyone done this???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a new non-J-lock on a client's gun a while back. It is shorter so I had to shorten the firing pin and mill the side of the shroud. Simple job, only took time.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote