New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Action Work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few Pre-64 M-70 actions that I'd like to have blue-printed.

I'll have the builder (Lindke will get one...) install new bolt handle, bottom metal, checkered bolt release, etc... but I expect I'll need to at least spin off the old barrels, true the action, etc... and generally prep them for custom builds.

What do you recommend I have done...and who are we using for this kind of work these days?

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were doing it, and if I were going to be using a scope, I would probably have custom fitted bases made from scratch so they looked like they actually grew on the gun. I would also have the tang reshaped. And I would have them polished so that the action and the barrel exactly matched in surface texture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with the factory bolt handle on a pre-64?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will definitely have the tang reshaped.

Nothing's wrong with the pre-64 bolt, I prefer a checkered knob on a custom rifle.

Anyone have a basic list of what needs to be done?

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod is an expert on the Model 70 Winchester. He is an excellent custom gunsmith.
Do a search " Mark Penrod" you will see examples of his work and good write up.
He is one of the best.

Mark Penrod
Penrod Precision
312 East Colledge Ave.
North Manchester, IN 46962-1411

260-982-8385

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Penrod for work on my M-70s in the past.

These actions would likely sit until I was ready to commission the projects. Basically I just want them ready to go so when the time comes they are ready to be barreled etc....

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am one of the minority who detests checkering on bolt handles, slows you down and tears up your skin or your glove. Useless if you are operating the bolt properly by palming it. An expensive bit of cosmetic frippery, one of Griffin & Howe's few aesthetic missteps in their classic era.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
How many times does a person have to cycle a bolt for the checkering to wear a hole in your glove or worse yet, your skin! Never heard that one before. Darn cactus, bark, blood, dog teeth, cold, water, and knives usually do all the tearing up for me.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also rethink the reshaping of the rear tang. I have numerous done in that fashion and regret it. If something goes wrong with the action, and I have had trouble with a couple, then the tang of a new action would have to be sculptured to match to original exactly to fit an existing stock. This is high end custom work and will cost a lot. Most stock blanks are cut for the original clover leaf tang or the post transition tang. A custom tang will require custom fitting. I like the original bolt handle as well as either of the original tangs. Get what you want but if it is non standard the action will be worth less.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote