New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son's Rem. 58 project finished
 Login/Join

<Rogmatt>
posted
Remember last month My 14 year old son bought this old Rem. 58 made in the 50s with his birthday money to restore. had a bent barrel, bad wood, blueing faded. He finished his project, had the bent portion cut off by gunsmith & crowned to a 19" cyl bore. We will test tomorrow at the range.Old & new pics below.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those projects were so much fun when When I was that age we were sporterizing military rifles and refinishing others.

A memorable incident was when one of my buddies refinished all of the parts of an old Stevens pump. Of course he could not get the gun back together! He left it with my dad who worked it out. My dad never complained much about anything but that job was not all that easy with the wear marks gone.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The shotgun looks very nice.At 68 I still enjoy sporterizing old rifles. I would like to suggest that you retake those photos with a darker back ground in the sun light or strong indirect lighting.Not head on with a flash. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, the gun turned out nice!
Good call on cutting off the barrel, no need to spend bucks on an 870 barrel plus fitting.
You can still get those adjustable chokes like the one that was originally on it.
Good luck on future projects.

-Spencer

<Rogmatt>
posted
Came back from the range. The light 7/8oz target loads would not cycle, not even on low. I put high brass in 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4oz loads and it cycled perfectly. I guess I needed heavier loads. Will use a minimum of 1 1/8oz next time. felt good using those High brass. Not much recoil. sounds like a cannon with that short barrel. He loves it. thanks for the feedback.