New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friend purchased a new Savage 116FSAK in 7mm Rem Mag. We mounted a Sightron 6-24x42 on it useing Millet two piece bases and Leupold rings.
The problem is that the scopes vertical adjustment is as high as it will go and the POI is still 3" below the aiming point @ 100yds. The windage adjustment is fine.
Everything is tight.
Any suggestions on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nutoy:
We mounted a Sightron 6-24x42 on it useing Millet two piece bases and Leupold rings.
The problem is that the scopes vertical adjustment is as high as it will go and the POI is still 3" below the aiming point @ 100yds.

Are you sure you got the right bases for this rifle? One possibility is that the rear base is too thin or the front base is too thick. Another thing to do is to make sure that the bases -- if they are indeed the right ones for this rifle -- are seating properly on the top of the rifle action. (i.e., Make sure that that there isn't a gap between one base -- especially the front one -- and the action for some reason.) Still another possibility is that the rings, for some reason, are not right. Are they both the same height? If not, that's almost certainly your problem.

I've never mounted a scope on a Savage rifle, so I don't know the answer to these questions, but I do know that unless they are answered correctly, it will throw off your scope mounting: Are the two bases the same or different heights? If they are different, do you have the right one in front and in back, or have you inadvertently reversed them? If they are the same height, is that the way they are supposed to be, or should one be higher than the other?

As you can see from my questions, I'm almost certain it's a problem in the mounting of the scope.

[ 07-14-2002, 08:00: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
One possible way to check to see if the bases are correct for that rifle is to remove the scope and rings, leaving the bases on the rifle and lay a good straight machinist scale or other piece of metal across the top of the two bases to see if they are the same height. Any error should be quite apparent. Hope this helps.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bases and rings are correct for the gun as per part#.
They are not reversable(ie: front base and rings will not fit at rear).
Bases are mounted square and with no gaps.
Removed the scope and checked rings with a scale. They are flush to each other.
Removed the rings and checked the bases with a scale. They are flush also.
Going to put a 1 piece base and rings from one of my Savage 110's that will fit the 116 and that I know is working with the same scope.
If that does not do the trick I guess my next step will be to put a proven scope on my base and rings and check for a defective scope.
I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks for the help and advice.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
NUTOY,
It is not uncommon for rings not to be aligned with the axis of the bore. Try turning the rings 180 degrees. Start with the front one first. I picked up a eight inch length of a one inch steel rod. I mount the rings on it and verify alignment. you might want to try it. Good luck.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

<Don G>
posted
He could get any of the Burris Signature line of scope rings. They sell offset inserts that can correct a lot of errors! Very forgiving rings.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/solidrings.html

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy did not say if it was bullet impact still low or if he was looking at the impact point through a collimator. It is reversed when looking at the collimator. If it shows it is low in the collimator, by moving the reticule in the direction showing in the elevation turret, he would actually be moving it in the wrong direction.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
Nutoy: The situation that you describe is not at all uncommon with high magnification scopes. There is very little internal adjustment in most of them. I've had to shim nearly 50% of high power scopes on my target rifles.

Problem is that the rifle maunfacturer has tolerances. The base manufacturer has tolerances. The ring manufacturers have tolerances. The scope manufacturers have tolerances. Add 'em up and you get the picture.

You can buy brass shims from Brownell's very cheaply. I've heard that Burris is now providing shims with all their high power scopes and Burris don't make no cheap scopes.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nutoy:
The bases and rings are correct for the gun as per part#.

Another possibility is that somehow the manufacturer goofed up and put the correct part number on the wrong bases or rings (or on the packaging if the numbers are not stamped into the bases themselves). To the best of my memory, I've never had that happen myself, but it's certainly possible that it could happen.

I suggest that you try a completely different set of rings and bases, such as Weaver ones (Yes, I know -- they're really ugly; but they work quite well) and see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't, then I would suspect that something is wrong with the rifle itself. Of course, you could have a defective scope, but I think that's less likely if it's a new high-quality scope.

[ 07-15-2002, 07:02: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, here's the results of playing mix and match for the better part of the afternoon.
Please note that after each step alignment was checked with a scale.
1. Turned the front ring around 180�, still not right. <scratched head>
2. Turned the front ring back 180� and turned the rear ring 180�, still not right. <scratched head again>
3. Turned the front ring 180� again, STILL not right. <scratched head again>
4. Removed the rings, turned the rear base 180�, put the rings back on same as they were removed, STILL NOT right. <scratched head some more><walked behind a tree and cussed>
5. Did the rings turn 180� dance again. Dropped a ring cap screw, it bounced off the table into pea gravel, found it 30 min later. STILL NOT RIGHT. <didn't scratch head, walked over and kicked tree>
6. Removed my Savage110 from case, removed the scope(set aside), removed the Leupold rings(set aside), removed the Leupold 1 piece base.
7. Removed the scope, Leupold rings and Millet 2 piece bases from the Savage116.
8. Placed the two sets of bases and rings on a flat surface and compared. Bases were level and flush and the rings were level and flush.
9. Installed the Leupold 1 piece base on the rifle in question, installed the original rings, install the original scope in rings. "WORKED PERFECT" Had to turn vertical turrent back to appropriate location. <High Five>
We fired 50 work up loads thru the rifle and the scope performed perfect.
If any of you are interested, this fresh from the box Savage116FSAK 7mm Rem shoot a .325" 5 shot 100yd group with Sierra 140gr SPT, 64gr of R-22, Win mag primer new Rem cases. The same load shot a .675" group at 200yds. <More High Fives>
I have installed many scopes on my rifles through the years and have never had this much trouble but I have always used the same mfg's bases and rings for each application.
I would like to thank you folks for the help and advice and have to say that I admire you fellows that do g'smithing for a living, it can be trying sometimes and most people don't understand what it involves.
PS: I didn't really kick the tree but there was a lot of cursing going on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I mounted a Weaver Grand Slam 3X10-40 on my 116 FLSAK in 338 WM with Millet bases and Leupold rings. After 70 shots the rear base failed, I had no problems with elevation or windage zeros but I do remember having to crank in a fair amount of elevation clicks to initially center the groups. I switched to Burris double dove tail mounts and Signature rings and have put over 400 rounds on it with no complications and the bore sighting was quite a bit closer on the initial set up. Both of these systems used offset mounts to compensate for the extra long action of the Savage, Leupold says you don't need them but you do, check to make sure your objective bell isn't slightly riding on the front mount. If you don't want to use the Burris system Leupld makes a 1-piece mount that moves the ring positions so that you'll have plenty of adjustment fore and aft, this also will give you a known true base with the ability to use your Millet rings.
The Savage action is a bit long so it requires a little thought to properly set up the bases and mounts for your individual needs. That said it is worth the trouble, my gun shoots .65" 5 shot 100 yard groups with very little effort on my part. Get the scope mounted, adjust or replace the trigger and have fun.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Nutoy--

It's undoubtably the mounts. Hold the rifle out and *look* at it. The scope should be parralel with the action. Your's isn't. I hope you haven't kinked the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RickMD (or anyone),
Could you please elaborate on your shimming process? I have a scope that needs to be shimmed but I'm hesitant to because of the stories I hear about bending the tube.
I would like to avoid spending big bucks on custom rings for my Ruger 77 Mk11 if I can avoid it.
Thanks,
Max

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Alignment rods from Brownells,makes life a lot easier,when mounting scopes.Takes the guess work out,and less frustration.Puts a smile on your face,when you know the scope is aligned properly.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
JBelk- makes his point absoluitely correctly!. The scope must be parralel with the bore. The action also must be parralel with the bore and unfortunately many times its not. Mass produced scope bases usually do a pretty good job of getting this right, but not all the time. Some receivers, particularily Remingtons can be way out of square with the bore! Scope allignment rods are usually OK, but won't necessarily indicate a slight out of parralel condition. For 1000 yrd shooting we actually make scope bases that purposely have a significant taper in them to allow for appropriate scope adjustment. The simplest method I've found to tell is to put a approx 2 ft long, 1 inch or 30mm diameter rod in the rings and "Look" at the allignment( a broomstick will also work. This will immediately tell you if you need to shim bases or if your bases/rings are parralell with the bore and action. I do this routinely on any gun I'm mounting a scope on. -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote