Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

284 in rem short action
 Login/Join

posted
I want to re build my Rem short action into a hunting rifle in 284. Has any one had any experience with this combination?
My concerns are;
Throat length required, so rounds will feed from mag.
Reliability of feed from mag.
Velocity loss due to deep seating of projectiles. ( will it still be better than a 7mm 08.)

I will mainly us 120 to 130 gn pills but will wont to have a 160gn load for big game.

Thanks in advance
Sundowner

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m not a big fan of Rem SAs although I have two, one in 7-08. The mag limits you to 2.80 max cartridge lenght which will work for both but can be a pain with some bullets. The 284 has a bit more capacity than the 7-08 and will still have more, even with heavier bullets in a short action. The 7-08 will have the bullet seated just as much deeper in the case when restricted to the same OAL as the 284 useing like wgt bullets. If you want velocity go for the 284. The 708 won`t be far behind though.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sundowner:
I want to re build my Rem short action into a hunting rifle in 284. Has any one had any experience with this combination?
My concerns are;
Throat length required, so rounds will feed from mag.
Reliability of feed from mag.
Velocity loss due to deep seating of projectiles. ( will it still be better than a 7mm 08.)

I will mainly us 120 to 130 gn pills but will wont to have a 160gn load for big game.

Thanks in advance
Sundowner

I have 6mm-284, just fits in the magazine and had the chamber short-throated to accomodate the situation.

Tom

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the other side of the coin, you can have the magazine box lengthened, the receiver opening opened up, and throat your chamber for a 3.0" COL. That's what I did on a Rem 600 action, makes for a nice light mountain rifle. With that COL, and a 23" barrel, I get 2950 fps with 150 gr Win factory ammo. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents for your words of wisdom.

Dan do you know if it is possible to open up Rem 700 actions as you did with the 600?

Regards
Sundowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sundowner, i don't see why not, it should even be a little easier on the 700, as it's got a little more metal to work with. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Sundowner, just had the magazine opened up on a Rem700 short action by my gunsmith to better accomodate a 6.5 WSM. No problems!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the 130 and 140 gr. bullet just cut the throat to match the magazine and go for it..the short magazine will only effect the longer bullets, particularly the 175's..so if you want that kind of penitration shoot No. Forks 140, GS 130 or Barnes X in 130's, these monolithics make up for the difference...

It will work fine and what you lose in velocity caused by used up powder space with the 160's will only slow the bullet up enough to maintain good bullet integrity, and thats the best thing that can happen to killing power in a rifle.. get after it you'll be fine.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote