New
Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Whelen Dummy Rounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If this is not the appropriate forum please delete. I am trying to diagnose a frankenmauser and would like to purchase 4 dummy rounds of .35 whelen. There are no caliber markings on the barrel, but I was told the rifle is chambered for .35 whelen. We are trying to check to see if the barrelnis headspaced properly.

Colin

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best thing to do is have a chamber cast done, or do one yourself, it is fairly easy to do.

Then you will know what the chamber is, and can proceed accordingly with the right headspace gauge set. For a standard 35 Whelen, 30-06 gauges will work.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do it yourself; Brownells sells cerrosafe; which is metal that melts in boiling water.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortuently I have too much going on. I'll send it to a gunsmith.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take four empty Whelen cases, prime, and charge them with ten grains or so of pistol powder, fill them with corn meal or Cream of Wheat, plug the mouths of the cases with Kleenex, chamber them and pop them. The fired cases will tell you what you have.

Additionally, you can take the fired cases and add regular Scotch tape to the rear of the case. Each layer of tape is approximately .0015" thick, if memory serves. Anything over about four layers that still allows the bolt to close easily is too much headspace.

Tom, feel free to weigh in and correct me if I am out to lunch...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves 35 Whelen, 30-06, 270 and 25-06 are all the same gauge. It's probably the most common headspace gauge in the universe. So just about any gunsmith should have one.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Take four empty Whelen cases, prime, and charge them with ten grains or so of pistol powder, fill them with corn meal or Cream of Wheat, plug the mouths of the cases with Kleenex, chamber them and pop them. The fired cases will tell you what you have.

Honestly I thought you were joking when I first read this, but that is actually a pretty slick way to safely low-pressure fireform a case to the chamber. Thanks, you've given me one more trick to add to my book!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote