Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 troubles??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
a buddy of mine has an ar 15 that he uses for coyotes, not my kind of gun, too much springs and crap, so I don't know much about them. almost since day one the gun has had trouble feeding in new rounds, it will always fire the first round without issue, however it may fire one or 2 more then not feed, being out in the field the gun jambed up, so being in the middle of now where I had better figure out something, so I took the gun apart and traced the problem to the bolt not moving freely back and forth in the upper, it seems to kinda hit tight spots in the surrounding bolt raceways, so I took a little motor oil (all we had) off the dipstick of the truck and this seemed to almost fix the problem, had I put more on there it would have done alot better. is this area supposed to have oil on it?? what might I do to fix it if not

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes, the bolt carriers are supposed to have a light film of lube on them. There shouldn't be any "tight spots" in the tunnel. If you're concerned, have it looked at by someone who knows the particular breed.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Most AR15 style rifles are pretty reliable and not nearly as jam prone as most folks would have you think.

Things to do are lube the bolt inside the carrier, make sure the gaps in the gas rings (those are at the tail end of the actual bolt) aren't lined up, lube the carrier inside the upper and try a new magazine.

You'll learn more than you want to know at AR15.com if you can get past some of the poster's age/IQ/BS...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the ectractor spring is in upside down.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good advice ; Some times it can be the smallest least thought of part . Like the Magazine follower !. Then as suggested some times a Magazine is just no good .
archer
Does this fellow reload ?, if so check OAL of cartridges AR's are sensitive to that .
Pull the bolt carrier out check for wear spots properly lube and replace it . Clean the Chamber with a chamber brush while the bolt is out .

If all the above fail springs or gas rings are suspect . Have a " Qualified Person " check or redo them if neither of you are familiar with servicing AR's .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 - clean and lube
#2 try another magazine

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Clean and lube the bolt carrier
2. Try a mlitary magazine
3. Be sure to full length size the brass every time you reload
4. Be sure the OAL of the round is correct

Try the above items and eliminate any loading errors. If these don't solve the problem then we can look at some mechanical problems with the rifle.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote