Notify
Tools

S&W Ejector Rod Issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Subject: S&W 629-4 / 4" / .44
Problem: Slightly bent ejector rod
Question: Can this problem effect grouping?

Although the cylinder locks in & out OK, the ejector can be seen to wobble (run-out) somewhat when rotating.

Notice the two fliers in the attached group pic, are 180 out. My thought here is that only two opposing cylinder chambers are affected by the bent rod pushing the cylinder up, then down.....

Lotta people say that if it locks in & releases OK - don't worry about it, but I've begun to wonder.

Is this a potential accuracy issue? Input appreciated - thanks in advance!

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been tinkering and working on smith & wesson revolvers for many years.
The center pin within the ejector rod is probably also bent.Although it's possible to straighten them,the usual result is a rod that is wavy rather than perfectly straight.It will be better to have a new rod and pin fitted properly.
Another concern is that whatever mishap that caused the bent rod in the first place may have also bent the yoke barrel out of alighnment.This needs to be checked.
The bottom line is this...Send it to smith & wesson.The cost will be minimal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray m:
I've been tinkering and working on smith & wesson revolvers for many years.
The center pin within the ejector rod is probably also bent.Although it's possible to straighten them,the usual result is a rod that is wavy rather than perfectly straight.It will be better to have a new rod and pin fitted properly.
Another concern is that whatever mishap that caused the bent rod in the first place may have also bent the yoke barrel out of alighnment.This needs to be checked.
The bottom line is this...Send it to smith & wesson.The cost will be minimal.

Ray -
Thanks for your response. The pin is bent as well, but the yoke barrel appears OK. At least as far as I can tell.

Don't know when this happened, but don't think that I did it. Seems like I would know.

I had the whole assembly apart for examination yesterday. I've got to tell you, that "straightening" & "wavey" both came to mind...

This revolver was back at S&W several months ago to have a timing issue resolved. Guess another trip may be in the cards.

What do you think about the possible effect on accuracy?

With out a proper means to measure, I would say that run out appears to be .015" to .020" - at least.

Regards - GCF

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gcf

Concerning the yoke barrel,alignment can't be checked properly by eyeballing it.A special tool is made for this but I realise that the average shooter doesn't have one.
You asked about the effect on accuracy.Once the repairs are made,there shouldn't be any more concern.
You mentioned run out.Anything other than straight is unacceptable.
Cylinder alignment is crucial on a double action revolver.I would get it fixed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i don't miss my guess to far, this is a bangor punta model. Much of they work left alot to be desired. Definately send it back to S&W. you may even findd that the rod is bent because the hole in the cylinder isn't straight. Sounds weird, but I even saw one (mod 58) that the cylinder was out of time by 50%. (lined up perfectly between cylinder holes)

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
if i don't miss my guess to far, this is a bangor punta model. Much of they work left alot to be desired. Definately send it back to S&W. you may even findd that the rod is bent because the hole in the cylinder isn't straight. Sounds weird, but I even saw one (mod 58) that the cylinder was out of time by 50%. (lined up perfectly between cylinder holes)

Not sure about the dates of Bangor's tenure, but I think this one shipped in '98.

Irritating thing is, that S&W just had it in March, for a lock-up problem.....

Regards - GCF