New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to pick
 Login/Join

<NEW SHOOTER>
posted
Between these 3 factory rifles wich would it be and why. All 22-250 for varmints and targets.

Winchester Stealth.

Remington VS.

Savage 12FVSS.

Recoil, accuracy and not getting too hot to shoot frequently are priorities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NEW SHOOTER,
My choices would be the Winchester Stealth or the
Remington VS
I have a Rem 700 BDL in 243 that is a tack driver.

I keep looking at the Savages and I keep handing them back. I just don't like the way they look/feel to me. If dollars are an issue then that look to nbe a good rifle for the money.
Also the savage is a pound lighter then the Remington and 2 poumds lighter than the Winchester and that makes a differance for recoil. Not Much but a differance)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would choose the rem vs, I have a rem vssf in 22/250 and I can put two winchester supreme 50 gr ballistic silver tips through the same hole and the 3rd touching at 100 yards. Scope is a VariX111 6.5-20x40 in weaver mounts & rings. This is with factory ammo, I have not even bothered to reload for this one. My two friends also own eaxctly the same rifles and scopes and they also get the same results from win factory supreme 50 gr BS ammo. [Cool]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I'm enamoured of any of them, but I guess the Remington would be my pick. Although Remington refuses to fix it's safety, this is less of an issue with a varminter which you'll probably use single shot from a rest, anyway. The same is true of the Remington extractor, the worst in the industry, but positive extraction in a varminting situation where you probably have a rod with you to poke the case out of the chamber is not such a big deal. The Remington usually will group better out-of-the-box than the other two (although there have been a lot of complaints recently about "rough" barrels from Remington).

Winchesters seem to be suffering from quality control issues. I like their trigger and extractor, but wood-to-metal fit and some other issues seem to keep them from delivering the best of accuracy.

Savage seems to produce a very accurate gun, but the trigger is abysmal and the stamped metal and low-end metal and wood finish, while keeping the price down, also damage the aestetics.

For just a little more money, you might consider the Tikka, which is gaining a very good reputation.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
New Shooter,

I have a VS in .223 and another in .22-250; both are accurate (the .223 is especially good). My wife has a 112FLVSS .22-250 (and I have a 10FLP .223).

I replaced the trigger in both Savages with the SharpShooterSupply model, and both rifles regularly shoot in the .3s and .4s at 100yds., which is slightly better than the VS rifles I have.

If money is no object, I think the Coyote is a handsome rifle (I wish they made it in lefthand); accuracy was very good in the one I shot (not as good as the Savages or Remingtons, but I was firing factory ammunition not handloads).

The VS rifles now come with a Bell & Carlson stock, not the H-S Precision model, but Remington has not dropped the price any; also, the new ones have that stupid locking mechanism. I won't buy a Remington with that lock on it.

The Savages are 'clunky', but with an aftermarket trigger, they are a great performer. If money is an issue, that's the one to buy.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
I would take the Savage. I've shot them before and they are very accurate strait out of the box. In fact, I would put the Savage up against either the Winchester or Remington. And recoil isn't bad either so I wouldn't worry about that pound. [Wink]