New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding Problems
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Latley I've struck a feeding problem in my Mauser 96 in 6.5x55. If I try to crank though the rounds quickly the bolt misses picking up the top round pushes it into the front of the magazine well. I have to push the round back with my thumb and work the bolt a bit slower for it to feed, this is not a good situation when you are surrounded by big pigs. Would this be a weak magazine spring not pushing the rounds up? or something else?
Bakes

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are working the bolt properly it does sound like a weak spring. Do you load the rounds towards the back of the mag?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several possible cures without actual inspection...a new spring is one, try different bullets (shape) is another..polish and/or change the angle of the feed ramp..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thing to watch for on this particular rifle is if you are handloading and seat your bullets to a longer COL than factory length it will not feed well. It can be cured by altering the rails slightly.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys guys.
I'm careful to load all the rounds to the back of the magazine, I'm using 120gr Sierra's that are seated a fair bit out and the feed ramp is unpolished. It sounds like a "all of the above" situation. I'll try a new magazine spring and a polish job on the feed ramp and see how that goes.
Thanks again
Bakes

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote