Find
Notify
Tools

700 and 721 feeding problems!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
When I load my magazines full the last round kicks out sideways on me and usually fall to the ground. Do I need to adjust the spring?
They are both early models and both hate to take the last round in the mag when I load it.This is why I prefer the claw feed model 70.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
When I load my magazines full the last round kicks out sideways on me and usually fall to the ground. Do I need to adjust the spring?
They are both early models and both hate to take the last round in the mag when I load it.This is why I prefer the claw feed model 70.

Feeding problems in Remingtons are usually associated with mag box/follower/spring problems...not extractor problems. I'm not sure how a claw type extractor would help this problem you describe...if I am understanding it correctly. It also seems really strange that two rifles would start experiencing the exact same problem at the same time.

When you say that the last round "kicks out and falls to the ground" are you saying when you retract the bolt to eject the next to the last round that the last round in the mag pops out of the rifle before you start the bolt back forward?

Did this just start happening? Have you had the barreled actions out of the stocks? If so, when you reassembled them did you make sure the mag boxes seated up into the recess in the receiver when you tighted the guard screws down? If you load one round short of a full mag does this happen?

If the mag boxes are cockeyed when you tighten everything up they can put the spring and follower in a bind where the follower doesn't stay in the correct position on the way up and it can hang up or drag on the sides or ends of the box and get over far enough so the round doesn't engage the feed lips on the receiver enough to hold it in until the bolt strips it out.

I've had good luck with grinding down the two little "feet" on the bottom of the Remington followers to get smoother feeding on a few occasions.

Without seeing it I'm just guessing...but I would be really surprised if it had anything at all to do with the extractor.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I was not clear enough Sorry.
the problem is in the magazine spring. It usually does it on the last shot whilepushing the round into the chamber,about 1/3 of the way and then it gets kicked out of alighmnet from the chamber.It is at about the posistion that a claw extractor would be getting a bit on it though.My 7 mag is the worst offender.Sometime it is so hard to get the 3rd round in the magazine I cant do it with cold hands.

I think i will take them apart and see what is going on.
It feels like the springs are to tight .

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

If you have some dummy rounds stick them in and slowly cycle the bolt while looking directly down into the action and pay particular attention to where the round clears the feed, or retaining, lips on the receiver to see exactly when the round passes that point. That shouldn't happen until the tip of the round is already entering the chamber...which will also prove to you the fallacy of the old argument about push feeds not being able to chamber rounds with the rifle upside down.

If your spring is weak or if the follower is hanging up or cockeyed there may not be enough upward force on the round to keep it from sliding out from under the lips. Usually though when this happens the bolt will just miss the rim and go right over the round without picking it up.

I would still bet that your problem is that something is binding your spring and follower inside the mag box.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Rick I took it apart and could see nothing wrong but it still kicks them out as soon as the head clears the feed rails.Even with 1/4 of the cartridge staring into the chamber.
I have always kept my fingers ahead of the bolt to keep the shell from flying out.I know it has to be the spring in the magazine .My father has passed or i would ask him if it
did that in 1964 when he bought it.It has never cost me any game but I shoot enough rifles while I hunt that Im bound to forget this ones special needs.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I just pulled my 721 out its is a .3006' it is working good now. But that 7 mag kicks all of them out not just the last
round. oh well I do as I always did and keep my fingers ahead of the bolt .Maybe ill buy a new spring and follower.
for the 700 .

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Cal

Are you using hand loads or factory loads? If it is hand loads loaded way out to touch the lands maybe the bullet is rocking the rear of the case down into the magazine just right to be wrong and not leaving enough case under the rails. I don’t know if that really made sense or not? I have seen a problem that sounds similar on short actions converted to WSM’s. A little judicious feed ramp grinding with a dremmel tool usually does the trick. In other words elongate or lessen the feed ramp angle. This is probably a long shot but something to look for. Definitely make a few dummy rounds and watch every thing closely and go slow. It also reminds me of the WSM problem because the few that I have had a hand in always had a problem with the last round. Good luck.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

You got me, brother, I'm stumped and out of suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Guys Thanks alot for your suggestions I dont know why it started to bother me now but
I might just try another spring and follower.
I took it out shooting today and instinctivly
reached under and put my fingers ahead of the bolt with my left hand like I always did.
So I probably am making a bigger problem
than it is.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bluetick
By the way that is a dandy buck! thumb

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I "help" my local gunsmith at times, usually doing disassembly/reassembly and trigger work. One of the things I've learned is to have a LARGE selection of springs and followers on hand. What may have caused a problem with one action, may be exactly the right setup to cure the next one. Weird, but true. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote