THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Increase the length of pull on a McMillan stock...???

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increase the length of pull on a McMillan stock...???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently acquired a McMillan stock for a cz550 magnum. I like eveything about the stock except....the length of pull.

Is there any way to increase the length of pull w/o the stock looking horrible? Please no jokes about synthetics.... Wink

I gave McMillan a call and they are more than happy to keep adding spacers until my heart is content. However, I was planning on having the stock(currently black) painted an olive color and I have no desire to own a rifle that look like it has 2 full inches of black recoil pad at the butt end. I would also like to maintain the textured finish currently on the rest of the stock all the way to the recoil pad.

Basically I need to add 1/2 inch to the stock.... Any suggestions?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not much you can do except add spacer(s), sand and re-paint the whole stock. You will also need a new pad to keep the toe angle correct.

The hard rubber spacers from Brownell's sand and take paint very well; I just added an inch to an old Clifton fiberglass stock and you can't see the addition.

The only other thing that comes to mind; if there is a repalcement pad that just happens to be a half inch thicker than the one on it now. Even then, I bet the old pad is glued on and will need to be saw off. Never had a Mcmillan but most synthetics I have seen have glued pads.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might ask McMillan if they will/can cover the spacers with the appropriate gel coat so it matches the color/texture of the stock. Just a thought.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an easy sell market for McMillan stocks. sell it, or send it back to mcmillan for the proper length you want. You are talking maybe losing 50-75 dollars, and they charge more than that for a recoil pad redo!

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jameister but in some MacMillan stocks there is a limit to the length of pull and they may not give you, for instance, 15 inches. Check with them.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If nothing else comes to mind maybe you might try one of the adjustable attachments offered for tactical and high power competition along the lines of something like this:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...DJUSTABLE+BUTT+PLATE

This particular one is a little butt ugly (pun intended) but you get the idea.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,

Apparently some people like to make things far more difficult than they really are. Witness the responses you've gotten so far.

Since you want to change from black to olive, you will need to repaint anyway. All that needs to be done is add a spacer and new recoil pad, then paint the whole thing right up to the pad. Probably one of the easiest modifications that can be made to a McMillan.

Texture is applied via the paint, so consistent texture barely rates a ho-hum. Anyone who knows how to paint stocks can deliver.

I do this sort of thing all the time. PM me if you'd like more details.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys.

If I decide to keep the stock and add the 1/2 inch via spacers and new recoil pad do you think the finish could be made to look seemless? This would naturally require sanding and repainting the entire stock....

Would this seemless finish be durable and last a period of time or disappear after one rough hunt?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the guy doing the work kmows what he is doing, then you will never know that there is a spacer under the paint, unless you sand all the paint off.

This rifle has a 1/4" spacer under the paint. I'll give you $10 if you could tell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes for a clean addition. Textured paint over well fit spacers would be very difficult to detect. Nice paint job!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
CAS II:

Nice paint job - just what I have in mind!

What paint was used?

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Polane-T paint. It's about the best stuff going right now for painting stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAS II,

Nice looking work! I certainly can't tell there is a spacer under that paint.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Dave