New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTG Detachable Mag Kit for Mauser 98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
PTG offers a det mag kit for the mauser 98 action. It consists of the bottom metal and a detachable magazine. I was considering putting one on an FN barreled action that I plan to have rechambered to a 30 Gibbs. Has anyone out there used one of these kits ? Info states that some inletting may be required. Any comments on what inletting needed to be done ? How does it feed from the magazine ? Anyone use one on a 30 Gibbs or maybe a 30-06 AI ? Would appreciate any info you can share

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This also might be interesting to you:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...e-3rd/?sku=341000008

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SKL1 Thanks for the info That magazine will only accept 57 mm cartridges or shorter. It is of no use for the 30-06 being 63 mm long

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Q&A at Brownells, they state it will work with the 35 Whelen, even a 300WM but not with a .257R

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,

You probably have more info than me but the description says it'll take 30-06 based cartridges. It also says you might need to slot the mag if you use heavy bullets or a long COAL:
"...Fits long action cartridges .25-06, .270, 30-06 and 8mm. If using pointed cartridges, a u-shaped cut-out is required at the front to facilitate the slightly longer cartridge."

The PTG rig is nice, and you may also have other reasons for needing/wanting it, but just in case it helps.

But your real question is how hard is it to inlet the PT&G unit. Sorry for the distraction.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of those magazines and they only accept 57 mm cartridges or shorter. I have one on a 308 works fine Had one on a 257 Roberts AI and it worked fine. I have one on an 8x57 and as long as you dont try to seat heavy bullets out to far it works OK

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
PTG is a company I stay away from at all costs. Used to be a nice company, not so anymore. There are 2 types of PTG customers, ones who have been screwed, and those that will be.

Posts: 755 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I inletted a PT&G bottom into a Zastava Mauser Sporter (like Interarms Mark X)in 300 Win. I had to replace the trigger with a Timney 201 because the trigger housing was interfering with the bottom metal. PT&G sell 3 and 5 round steel magazines 3.715" long. Mags are steel made by accurate magazines. I have done 30/06 inlet in the past. The 5 round single stack magazine feeds well in 30/06 and 300 Win.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A detach magazine on a Mauser or mod 70 is a one way ticket to hell, or at least pergatory, its just criminal! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A detach magazine on a Mauser or mod 70 is a one way ticket to hell, or at least pergatory, its just criminal! rotflmo

Ray you should worry about your rifles. What I do with mine is really none of your business