New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold QD bases on Savage ML'er
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trying to scope my Savage ML II and want to use the Leupold QD's. I had a pair for a TC of some sort and the hole spacing on the receiver matched up perfectly--problem is, the supplied screws are too big! I think they are 8x40's and the drilled and tapped holes in the Savage are 6x something, not 32, I guess NF is 6x48 for #6 size screws??

At any rate, how big a deal would it be to re-tap to 8x40? Would the tap 'ream' the threads out of the # 6 size holes, or would the tap break, in other words would you have to drill out the exisitng threaded holes, or could you just run an 8x40 tap through there and end up with and 8x40 threaded hole--I've done that before, but not in material as hard as a rifle receiver.....I can't seem to find screws that fit the receiver and the heads fit the holes in the bases properly, the heads on screw that fit are way smaller than the holes in the bases.....

Open to help/theories, Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
No big deal at all. You really don't need to re-drill the holes but, use a 2 fluted tap and lots of tapping fluid. If you have a tapping jig be sure to use it. If not, make very certain that you keep the tap perfectly vertical. If no tapping jig, put the action in a machinists vise and use a drill press, NOT under power to tap the holes. If you feel you can't do it this way, take it to a smith.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MR, I can do with the drill press, may give it a go this weekend.

The 6x48 screw I used seem OK, may just leave them sit for a while.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote