New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger won't single feed???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Every time I turn around I see something I've never seen before. My newest .270 Ruger MKII stainless/syn is a super shooter, one of the best I've ever shot. But, when you drop a round in the chamber to shoot at the range, about half the time if won't jump the extractor over the rim of the case. It acts like there isn't enough room inside the action for the extractor to spring out around the rim of the case. Anyone ever seen this problem???

I swapped extractors with my .243, (which the claw is identical on, so no problem there) and it does the same thing. I have 4 Ruger 77's and none of the others fail to feed ever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since it's not a DGR I'd be tempted to just take a little off the extractor hook in say .005" increments. If it results in extraction failures buy another one. That would be a pretty sure indication an improperly cut extractor recess is the problem, wouldn't it?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

CRF actions aren't supposed to feed and chamber in that manner. Why don't you just feed from the magazine like the rifle is designed to do, rather than try to get it to do something it is not supposed to do. Because other rifles will allow the extractor claw to snap over the case rim is poor justification to try to continue the practice. Can't be too good for the extractor. Geronimo

About the only CRF actions I am aware of that can't be single-loaded without pushing down on the extractor to get the claw over the case rim are military Mausers. All the commercial CRF's I have owned, (Brownings, FN's, and M 70 Winchesters)and an unmodified Venezuelan M24 Mauser and a 1909 Argentine I have will ALL permit you to drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt! Nothing has been done to the extractor claws on these two Mausers, either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I switched the extractor with my 243, and it does the same thing, and the 270 extractor works fine in 243. So it has to be something with the action.