New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are older A-Bolt Barrels Chrome lined?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got an ancient Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker (1989 Model) in .30-'06 with a barrel that appears to be chrome lined However, it could be just the way it's crowned making the inner ring shine like chrome.

I hope it's not chrome because it has been sitting in the back of my safe for 20 years simply because it won't hit the broad side of a barn, from over 50 yards. I've finally decided to do something with the gun and have ordered a laminated stock to replace melted Clorox bottle POS that came with it. That Stock has all the stiffness of a piece of spaghetti after its been cooked. If it still won't shoot after I re-stock it, I intend to send it off the JES and have it rebored to .338-06. Of course, if it turns out to actually have a chrome lined barrel, then that ends that notion.

Anybody here know?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try wiping some cold blue on the muzzle end. If it won't change color, it's probably chrome lined.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a chrome lined A Bolt barrel. Some of the BLRs had chrome lined chambers but that's the extent of my knowledge on Browning and chrome.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's very unusual to see an A Bolt that doesn't shoot well.

I'd check the bedding and scope mounts to make sure the barrel is floated and nothing is loose, then try shooting again with some different loads.

I've not heard of any from the factory with chrome lined barrels.

I also don't think reboring and rechambering will improve a rifle that never shot like it should.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyper:
It's very unusual to see an A Bolt that doesn't shoot well.

I'd check the bedding and scope mounts to make sure the barrel is floated and nothing is loose, then try shooting again with some different loads.

I've not heard of any from the factory with chrome lined barrels.

I also don't think reboring and rechambering will improve a rifle that never shot like it should.

I've put several hundred rounds through the gun. Handloads, factory rounds, light bullets, heavy bullets -- you name it. I've tried several scopes and scope mounts, which I've lapped. I've free floated the barrel, and even epoxied in a pressure point at the tip of the channel, which did tighten up the groups a bit -- not enough -- but a bit.

As far as bedding it, The smith that accurizes my custom guns says it's not feasible with that generation of injection molded stock. We will float the barrel and and bed the action as soon as the laminated stock gets here. I bet that cures the problem. If it doesn't then that only leaves that barrel and action to look at, and reboring is where I'll start.

The main reason I'm thinking about reboring it to .338-'06 is, well, I want a .338-'06!

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I'm sure many will disagree. But it's been my experience, that outside of free floating or adding a strong pressure point. If a gun shoots a loose 2 inches out of the box with good factory loads, there is not much point in messing with it. Doing all of the tricks might give you another 1/4 inch. But gaining 1/4 inch when you start with 2 inches and change is not much of an improvement. I have also had a fair number of barrels re-rifled over the years, as have my customers. The general consensus has always been that they shoot much the same after re-rifling as they did before. But then again it's not my gun, I don't know for sure what it's doing now and I don't know what you expect to get from it.

Some barrels just won't shoot.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be happy with 1-1/2" groups. I actually like the slickness of the A-Bolt action and it's relative lightness and perfect balance with the melted Clorox bottles. I'm sure the laminated stock will feel considerably clunkier when I install it. But if I can get get the 2-1/2 - 3" groups it get now down to my goal, I'll put it back in service. I just don't like having a safe queen.

It's not like I have a shortage of rifles to to choose from for hunting. I'd have to buy a license and hunt in all 50 states to stay legal if I decided to shoot a deer with with every rifle in my safe every season. (Don't tell my wife, please.)

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I've got the same rifle, from the same time frame in 7mm RM. My barrel does not appear to be chrome lined. Mine is a pretty good shooter though!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote