New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timeing wood screws?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting ready to install a set of talley sling swivel mounts and am curious how others time the wood screws for these mounts?

Any advice/input would be greatly appriciated

Theese are the ones I am installing

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Provided the mount sits correctly now, to time a screw slot you will need to remove material from the bottom of (a) the head of the screw, or, (b) from the screw seat in the mount. If there is room, it is possible to advance a screws slot by adjusting the seating depth of the mount. Make sure the screw isn't so long that it bottoms out and gives you a false setting.

If you opt for plan (a), you can use a lathe or a drill chuck to spin the screw and either a lathe bit or a small file to remove the material as it spins. For plan (b), use the appropriate counter sink.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Get a supply of screws. Instal a screw, then if it doesn't time to your needs...put in another.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
being essentially a lazy bastard i cheat. i run the screw in further than it should be. then mix a bit of accraglass (plain not gel), throw it in the hole. then coat the screw with release agent and screw it in until it is where i want it to be. the accraglass for a sort of a nut that bottoms out when the screw hits its position

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote