New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limb Saver recoil pads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there from New Zealand and my first question on this board. Limb Saver recoil pads, does anyone have any tips of grinding them to fit a stock. I ask this as they are a very soft rubber and the finish is what I consider to be a tad rough. I threw one in the frezzer for 24 hours and while it was a better job you still seem to get what I call feathering on the butt.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had much the same experience fitting one on my Ruger #1. I used hand sandpaper on the edges where it was feathering. It seemed to work pretty well.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How fine was the sandpaper? One thing I did find out is that rubber doesnt frezze

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a rougher grit paper.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A side note on the limb saver recoil pads. I have two on rifles and like them a lot. However, I have noticed that they like to glue themselves to the carpet in the bottom of my safe. Next time I open it I am going to put something else under both guns. My other pads do not stick to this carpet.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found, when finishing, best to spray silicon, and fine sandpaper.. More rubbing the layer off than sanding.. The surface has a porous finish anyhow, but I have no sand marks...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that WD 40 sprayed on the sanding belt helps but have not noticed a radical difference yet. I have noticed that throwing them in the frezzer does give a far better finish as it doesnt seem to tear the rubber so much