New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore Forearm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Putting together a 204 Ruger Encore with a frame I had lyin around. I got a walnut stock and forarm set off of Ebay. When I tighten down the back screw on the forarm you can't reach the screw hole for the front screw. Looks like there is a pressure point. And If I put both the screws in and tight at the same time, I can see that causing some bad pressure points.

Was thinking of getting a longer front screw and then putting some accraglass on the front of the forarm and tightening down the rear to form. Is that generally what most people are doing with the encore? Some gunsmiths said they will only put some aluminum pillars in them. But I don't have the expertise to pillar bed them. And really don't want to throw another 100 dollars into this project.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, nobodies ever worked on a Encore forarm?

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You might try the single shot rifle or pistol forums. The only one I have installed so far had the Bullberry hanger bar system which essentially free-floats the fore-end. I am waiting on another one (regular forearm) for a new barrel and we shall see how it fits.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what I did with the muzzleloader barrel foreend,I took and put in 2 steel washers and took off all the wood touching the action and barrel and it will shoot one hole groups @100 yds.
I have 25/06 barrel and was going to do the same but haven't found any longer screws yet.
When I first got the 25/06 barrel a shooting buddie and I shot 6 three shot groups @300 yds of 1 inch and less,changed back to the 50 cal barrel shot one hole groups but had to zero scope back in first it shot about 6 inches to the left.Put the o6 barrel back on and it hasn't shot any good groups yet still trying to figure out what went wrong.I had marked the pin so it went back the same way,just shot it about 2 weeks ago bullets went all over the target,brought it home and took it apart and cleaned it so going to take it back to the range again soon as I get time to see what it does this time.would be thanfull for any ideas as to what went wrong???

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine does the same thing!
Seems like there is a "high" point somewhere between the two screws!
I tighten the front screw, then put the rear screw in, and try to get the same torque on both screws!
These screws don't have to be white-knuckle tight! Just snug them down!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.strattoncustom.com/pages-services/pages_id-4/index.html

Another guy on another forum suggested these people. Seems rather affordable and maybe a better alternative than slapping some accraglass in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too much going on at Stratton to recommend them...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made an Alum bar just like the Bullberry bar system for my T/C forearm and glassed it into the wood on my factory .25-06 24" tapered barrel. It worked but I'm not sure why. I have a Bullberry in 6.5-06 AI with their XXX high grade walnut that was inlet by Bullberry and both shoot about the same....MOA or a little under which is fine for hunting.

My .204 factory barrel is in a factory forearm and it shoots 1/2 MOA with Horny factory rounds and only a little better than MOA with my reloads so far.

I'm thinking of trying a bar welded on the barrel at a point that it would allow the action to open, but be free floated like a Ruger #1. If I can find a cheap barrel I'll try it.

All in all, I gotta say I pretty happy with the Encore and COntender systems so far. With a little work, my NEF's shoot almost as good for a lot less money....even if they are butt ugly.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote