New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894CB feeding problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a mold made by Mountain Molds for my 45colt and received it a couple days ago. I took a casting of my chamber and Dan recommended a bore riding bullet design so that's what we did. It ended up being a 250gr WFN gas check bore rider.
Last night I loaded some up to see how they did and the gun jammed tight as soon as I worked the lever. It seems the bore riding part of the nose is hanging on something at the opening of the tube as the cartridge never makes it all the way out onto the loading ramp. When it gets about halfway out, the rear of the cartridge kicks up and there it stays until I put a screwdriver under the rim and force it all the way out. The ramp then lifts it up and it feeds into the chamber just fine. Ejection is also flawless. I have it seated to 1.60", the usual max oal. There are some pretty obvious gouges in the nose of the bullet after going through this process. I loaded up some of my other boolits to make sure nothing had gone awry with the mechanism and they fed flawlessly.
What do you guys-n-gals think? I'd really like to be able to use this on deer next year.

Thanks,
Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bump....

No ideas?

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a wild guess. I think the part that retains the cartridges in the tube is contacting the bullet nose causing the round to cant in the loading gate and then jam. The marks on the bullet nose and the fact other more "normal" nosed rounds function perfectly suggests this. Now what to do about it is the question. Seating this bullet deeper may cure the problem but making the nose smaller when the retainer moves back to hold the next round out of the loading area. How far from the nose is the mark, what is the diameter of the bullet nose at this point? Comparing this to other good feeding rounds may offer some insite. I would be real hesitant to remove metal on the gun as it may break something else. Good luck.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote