New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Bolt for Tikka M695
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith today. I won a rifle last year, a Tikka M695 in 7mmRemMag, and I had it re-barrelled into a 375-338WinMag. Problem.......I can't get the bolt back in! It appears to me that the back part of the bolt is 90 degrees out, not allowing it to slide into the closed position. Is it possible that the gunsmith disassambled the bolt and then put it back together wrong? Or am I missing something REALLY stupidly simple? I am gonna try and get a hold of him tomorrow and see if that's the case. The thing is, wouldn't he have had to test the headspace by closing the bolt on a go-no-go gauge? Or is that how it works? DOHHH. I so wanted to blast some test loads through it tomorrow......

Posts: 106 | Location: Muskwa, BC, Canada | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. [Frown]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Confused]

"Problem.......I can't get the bolt back in! It appears to me that the back part of the bolt is 90 degrees out, not allowing it to slide into the closed position."

Sounds as though it might simply be that the bolt is in the "fired" position though out of the rifle. Is the firing pin head showing and more visible than you remember it when you last took the bolt out?

I've done this in the past whilst cleaning/oiling/fiddling about and was embarrassed for a time until I worked out that it needed to be "re-cocked" and that I wasn't going to break it.

Why don't you take it back to the gunsmith?

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think Pete has hit the nail on the head...also make sure the safety is "off" as that can stop you inserting the bolt too on some rifles...

Regards,

Another Pete

[ 08-15-2003, 11:24: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
If this is an old tikka they can have a touchy bolt that have to be assembeled correct to work properly.

Beware some old tikka rifles can rifle upon closeing if the bolt it incorrect assembeled

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, this is a brand new rifle. Yes, the firing pin is showing/protruding from the bolt face.
"I've done this in the past whilst cleaning/oiling/fiddling about and was embarrassed for a time until I worked out that it needed to be "re-cocked" and that I wasn't going to break it." How HARD can I fiddle with it to get it into the proper position?!?
My gunsmith is a 5 hour drive away, and I had it shipped to me on the bus. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere....

Posts: 106 | Location: Muskwa, BC, Canada | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! Yup, all it needed was a pretty hefty twist to get the back part of the bolt into the proper alignment. Sweet.
Now does anyone else have any good loads for a 375-338 WinMag? I'm gonna start building some loads for it tonight, and hopefully fire this sucker tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fill us in on all the dirty, filthy, lurid details as soon as you can, OK? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just loaded up 40 rounds, starting of course at the low-end of powder charge. Judging from the reload data I pulled off of a couple sites, this could be a bit fun when I touch off the trigger. 2800 fps with a 270 grain bullet, 3000 fps with a 235 grain...... [Eek!] Well, I'm not too recoil sensitive, but it is a light gun with a teensy little recoil pad.