New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a Win 1885 from Rimfire to Centrefire
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How easy or difficult is it to convert a Win 1885 Highwall in 22 rimfire to centrefire?

Can anyone explain what's involved ?

Will parts from modern day clones interchange?

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a modern Win or Browning 1885 ? If not you might go back to Rolling Block conversion and see which of the LOW pressure cartridges have been used .Early 1885, Rolling block or the Brit's Martini were converted Bolt changes with different extractor ,various dimension changes .You can't expect modern parts to interchange. You might find info in older NRA [USA version]publications in doing such projects.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be as easy as just fitting a new CF breechblock.

Steve Meacham here in Idaho makes exact reproductions.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The firearm is an original Win 1885.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all the restrictions exporting parts I was hoping for some feedback on whether it's feasible to alter the existing breechblock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
With all the restrictions exporting parts I was hoping for some feedback on whether it's feasible to alter the existing breechblock.

You might check with the guys here:http://www.assra.com/ I'm sure they'll have the answer.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a new centerfire breechblock from Montana Vintage Arms.

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 1885 breech block is the same for rim fire as it is for center fire. The only difference is that the firing pin hole is offset. Bushing the block centered on the firing pin recess and boring the new center fire hole centered with it then only requires marking the appropriate spot on the firing pin body and creating a new firing pin to fit into it.

My late gunsmith, Harry Creighton, did this job numerous times, including several times for me. He used heavy piano wire for the new firing pin and timed the action correctly so that the pin was withdrawn from the fired primer prior to the block being lowered.

The only other difference in the rimfire version of the block is that in some blocks the top is recessed slightly to allow easier access to the .22 rimfire chamber.

I have used my Model 1885 rifles in such calibers as .219 Ackley Improved Zipper, which generate a respectable amount of chamber pressure, and have had no difficulty connected with the firing pin with the block bushed in this fashion.

One of my 1885 rifles converted to 7X57R, stocked by Hal Hartley.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

xausa - that's a fine looking rifle.