THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time on the range with a "new" old gun.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up an older commercial FN 98 in 06 the other day. Overall it looks good and functions just fine. It has no marks that would immediately identify it's history. The stock appears to be a Richards or similar variant in the classic "sporter configuration." There are no marks on the barrel.

I mounted a Leupold M8 4x, and took a batch of Lake City Match M72 Ball ammo to the range today.

The rifle prints in a verticle pattern. The first round prints at 12 O'clock, and all subsequent rounds follow in an almost straight downward vertical line. There is very little horizontal variance. If you took rounds 2 thru 5 on any given string and overlayed them on the first round, you'd have a 1.25 inch group.

Bedding issue? How to proceed?

Thank you all in advance for you insight and input.

Tom/Durango, Co.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Stringing would be an indication of a bedding issue. What I would do.

Start with the obvious things scope mounts etc., then, check the action to make sure it isn't stressed or binding. Make sure both guard screws are tight, and then loosen the front guard screw while gripping the barrel and forend with your free hand. Watch and feel for any movement of the barreled action as you loosen the screw. There shouldn't be any.

Continue removing the screws and pull the barreled action from the stock and look the bottom and sides of the barrel over for any rub marks indicating contact with the forend. Examine the barrel channel as well for similar signs.

Look at the crown under a bright light while you have it apart for any signs of abuse or uneven wear and tear.

Diagnosis:

If the barreled action wants to climb out of the stock when you loosen the front guard screw that would indicate bedding trouble. Uneven or off side barrel/forend contact would likewise indicated bedding trouble. If the barrel is supposed to be floating and there is signs of contact between the forend and barrel, that would indicate a clearance problem.

For bedding problems, seek the assistance of a friend who is experienced in such things, or better yet, a Gunsmith.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wespac,

Thanks! What a clear, concise explanation!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingTom, I can understand trying for improvement ,but that old 06 seems to be just great for hunting just as it is. If the POI does not change from one cold shot to the next cold shot ,that's all you need. I doubt if you intend to use it in a prarie dog town. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Westpac. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get doctors to talk to us like that? I'll play with it a little as time goes by.

Bartsche: Roger that. I was thinking the same thing. As a beater, I can't complain about its first shot/cold shot abilities. I bought it, well, "just cause." You know how that goes.
But I'll give Westpac's options a try and see how it goes.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I'll give Westpac's options a try and see how it goes.

thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote