Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a Rem 700 SA Barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted
I have a customer that has a Rem. 700 SA that he wants me to rebarrel. I have the aluminum 700 collar for my barrel vice. This is the first time I have had a problem removing a 700 barrel. I have used heat, cheater bars and I'm soaking it with Kroil at the moment. I don't want to ruin the barrel if I don't have to. Any Ideas?..........Help......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it spinning in the bushing? If so, sprinkle some sugar on the bushings.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I will try the sugar and let you know how it works....Thanks......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Well the sugar trick didn't work. It looks like I will have to cut it off and bore it out. I have heated it up to around 600 deg.F and no go. Before I cut it off I'm going to mill a couple of flats on it and maybe that will allow me to hold it. I'm starting to really dislike this project......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
Well the sugar trick didn't work. It looks like I will have to cut it off and bore it out. I have heated it up to around 600 deg.F and no go. Before I cut it off I'm going to mill a couple of flats on it and maybe that will allow me to hold it. I'm starting to really dislike this project......Tom

Sounds like you need to take it to a gunsmith before irreversible damage occurs. Heating things to 600 degrees isn't generally necessary.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a lathe make a thin parting cut in front of the recoil lug. This will take tension off the shoulder and barrel should come out easily. I had a Model 70 doing the same thing not long ago, after making this cut I screwed it off by hand. If you want to save the barrel you will only have to set it back one turn.
Pine rosin is better than sugar if you want to try that first. You can also try a piece of emory paper in the bushings. Also lead blocks work better than aluminum bushings.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're using a clamp on acton wrench, make sure you don't have it screwed down too tight. A 700 wrench can pinch the receiver onto the barrel tight enough it's hard to get off. Then, as mentioned before, use rosin on the barrel vise. Can do the same on the action wrench to keep it from slipping without clamping so tight.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:

Pine rosin is better than sugar if you want to try that first.

In 1980, having tried everything imaginable, pine rosin included, to hold a particularly tight and stubborn barrel still, a friend suggested powdered sugar and I have never had a barrel slip since. Never. And it washes off with hot tap water.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Put it in the the lathe and turn real slow and make a cut with the hack saw just in front of the receiver ring. Or if you have a thin parting blade. Then try again and im sure it will come of.

Posts: 10 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ideas given allready! Another one is to use two barrel vises if the barrel slips in the vise. If it´s posible, two vises after eatch other on the barrel useally grips the barrel good enough.

If you can recut the chamber and the end of the barrel a small cut in front of the recoil lug makes the barrel and reciver part easy.

Good luck!

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Sounds like you need to take it to a gunsmith before irreversible damage occurs. Heating things to 600 degrees isn't generally necessary.

True, and I didn't want to go over 600 as I would start to get close to the tempering temp. Unfortunetly I'm the one they bring these problems too.
This is the first one I have had this problem with. I have removed a hundred or more over the years without this much trouble, Mauser's, Mod. 70's, 700's, Howa's, Mark X's and a few others. I forgot about taking a thin cut in front of the receiver. Must be old age. Thanks guys for the help.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
As the monkey said as he backed into the lawn mower "Their off!" or in this case "It's off!".

I still can't believe I didn't remember to make a small cut in front of the recoil lug. I think I'm starting to suffer from CRS (can't remember shit).....Thanks again guys....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 1980, having tried everything imaginable, pine rosin included, to hold a particularly tight and stubborn barrel still, a friend suggested powdered sugar and I have never had a barrel slip since. Never. And it washes off with hot tap water.

Fortunately I have German Shorthair Pointers on hand. Sugar doe not stand a chance around them.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a friend suggested powdered sugar and I have never had a barrel slip since. Never. And it washes off with hot tap water.

works every time for me too
tu2

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
If you have a lathe make a thin parting cut in front of the recoil lug. This will take tension off the shoulder and barrel should come out easily. I had a Model 70 doing the same thing not long ago, after making this cut I screwed it off by hand. If you want to save the barrel you will only have to set it back one turn.
Pine rosin is better than sugar if you want to try that first. You can also try a piece of emory paper in the bushings. Also lead blocks work better than aluminum bushings.

A real necessity on a Eddystone!

salute

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote