Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale "Hussar" - ZG47
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

A Parker Hale "Hussar" in 243 has come up for sale by auction down here in NZ. These are pretty rare, but are genuine ZG47 actions.

My question - this one being in 243, does anyone know (or would like to offer an opinion) if Parker hale made any modifications to the Brno action, especially the feed rails, to accomodate the 243 cartridge - or to put it another way, should x57 and 06 lenght cartridges still feed ok.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Foster

here is some information that might help

http://thehunterslife.com/foru...owthread.php?t=10900

Its not a lot but it does help date maufacturing.

Hope you are not freezing your ass off down
there in the deep south ....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Muzza, I read that thread ages ago but had forgotten about it.

Weather down here has been brilliant, we have had the odd cooler day, but its generally nice and dry and grass is growing.

Cheers

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir -

If I can find my 7x57 ammo, I'll see if it feeds in my 308 Hussar.

Do you know if these were ever made with magnum boltfaces? Saw a 300 mag hussar but didn't purchase as wasn't sure if it was original.

How hard is it to find the safeties for these?

Thanks.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other question, were there other versions of the Hussar that were not ZG47 actions? Saw one with a thumb cut and different, FN style safety.

Thanks again.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the ZGs were definitely chambered to .308Norma Mag. based on the original H&H case shortened. I have examined one of these and am looking for one to convert to my "dream" .338WM.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I had a Hussar 243, sold it to lb404, seems like it had a block in the magazine for the shorter cartridge but I don't remember for sure. Parker Hale sold Hussars made with genuine Czech ZG47 actions and also some on standard 98 Mausers. ZG47 Hussars are good donors for custom rifles.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently saw one in 308 Norma in Cranbrook. The owner spoke of selling it. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - if it is "blocked" is it normal (i.e. on 98's generally) to also alter the rails ?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Hardly be necessary for a .308W based cartridge, would it .
I have a VZ24 in .243 that feeds fine without a block in the mag and unaltered rails , but that may not be a relevant comparison.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parker Hale started sporterizing military 98 actions and sold them as the Model 1000 rifles. When their supply of good 98 actions began to dry up they used the ZG47 actions for a short period. I have seen the std actions in 30-06, 270 ,7x57 & 243. There were also magnum actions barreled in 308 Norma. I have one of these. Parker Hale then started getting their actions from Santa Barbra and those actions were used in the newer model 1200 rifles. I don't believe PH modifyed the Hussar actions in any way. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote