THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't get the bolt out of a Weatherby Mark five.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Pull the trigger but it wont come out. Any ideas.

Posts: 29 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check your rear trigger guard screw ,unscrew it and see if that's the problem ,then try to remove bolt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
or B. could be a scope mount bolt protruding had that happened to me once from memory [which isn't very good ] bolt was stuck

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
My old German Mark V was simply in need of a great cleaning. To get the trigger/bolt out took impressive "pulling" on the trigger. Risked breaking it (I guess?) but it came out. My 'smith was doing a rebarrel job for me and looked into a replacement. However, in cleaning it out something worked and the bolt comes out nicely now. This has the safety on the trigger assembly as opposed to on the bolt. Also, as Robertcat hinted, the rear action screw was overlong and needed to be ground down a bit to give the bolt clear travel -- wood had squooshed down over the years.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either gunked up.

Or the bottom section of the bolt stop is broken, thus the bolt stop will not drop down to allow removall.

At that point the barreled action has to come out of the stock, and the trigger unit removed.
A new bolt stop installed and reassembled.

Dealt with enough of them 30 years ago as a Service center.

J Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bolt opens and closes fine, but just won't come out after the trigger is pulled as normal removal preceder.
Just remove the action screws and the stock to access the bolt stop release.
Probably gummed up and needs a little cleaning out in there.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Statistics for the last 30 days

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it out. The bolt stop is broken. Kind of a poor design because the screw to remove the trigger housing is under the bolt. If you can't remove the bolt you cant get the screw out to remove the broken stop.