Gun Shows will break me yet!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to attempt to link to photos of what I picked up at the local show:
M70
Both

Hopefully those work.

Picked up one of the only Pre-64s at the show - a pre-war 30-06 with a Tilden safety and receiver sight. It will likely become a 338-06. Had another in the closet to do that with, but I think I like this one better. Nice to live in a 'shotgun only' area, as people don't look for these.

Tried to run out without seeing anything else and literally ran into an older gentleman coming in with some guns in a baby stroller. Picked up the barreled action to find that it was labeled 'Remington' on one side and Model 30 Express on the other. Have heard of them but hadn't seen one. The price was right, so off to the cash machine, and he threw in all of the parts (likely Enfield parts, but doesn't matter to me). Barrel says Springfield 1906 on one side and RER on the other.

I need to know if it is a bad thing to re-work the action or is it a collector's item - receiver appears original, it is not drilled. I don't want to destroy something that should be preserved, would be easier if it were a whole gun but not sure about just the action. I'm also trying to figure out what I would make it into; seeing as how I hate recoil and this should be a boomer with the inherent strength of the action.

So I will leave it up to those who respond, leave the Model 30 alone and sell it to a collector or someone to make into a big bore or do a custom in a 338-06 or similar (I won't go much bigger, 9.3x62 max!)

Help me out, I'm actually at the point now where I have too many guns and am starting a number of them out the door and others are on the slippery slope of full custom. Just need help deciding which pile this one should go in.

Thanks!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
All I can say is: I never find that kind of deal when I go to the Gun shows - you had great luck. They look like they will be great for projects, and Go with th 9.3x62.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote