Find
Notify
Tools

what could be wrong with this BAR?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
I sold a friend my browning bar a few years back,and its been nothing but trouble for him.It become a jam-a-matic .I took it completly apart and cleaned every piece throughly,and it will cycle fine for 5-10 rounds ,and then it will not extract the case enough to clean the the ejection port.The gas system is completely dry-no lube at all.he has two magazines,doesnt seem to make a difference.
Does any one have any advice to offer?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once bought a BAR as a christmas present to my father, while in high school, with some money I saved working a part time job.This was the rifle HE really wanted.It turned out to be the worst rifle I ever bought.Don't look for solutions,just sell it and buy a bolt action rifle as soon as possible.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Its not his only rifle,he has a few bolts.
The problem is ,it worked fine when I owned it,never had a problem.I wouldnt have sold it to him if I thought it was going to be a problem.
I cant imagine what could have changed,except maybe a magazine problem,but I thought that would show up as a feeding problem,not an eject/extract problem?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Don't suppose someone shot the "light magnums" in it do ya? I've heard that this will mess up the gas system on the BARs. Good Luck, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
neither he or I have used light mags,He uses remington ammo,If i remember correctly.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Is it one of the newer ones with adjustable gas system? Maybe it's out of whack?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
no its an older one.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
When a gas operated weapon fails to fully cycle, then it becomes either a problem within the gas system, or, a maintenance issue. Remove the inertia piece, action spring and guide and completely disassemble the gas cylinder. With the gun upside down, insert a wire through the bottom, or now, the top access hole, straight into the barrel through the gas port. Make sure the port is clean and free of carbon.

Reassemble the piston assembly. Make sure you have correctly positioned the piston and that it clears the gas piston stop pin. Make sure you have the correct gas regulator for the caliber, and make sure it and it's washer are tight. Reassemble the action spring assembly and oil the action spring guide. Oil the action arms. Open the mag cover, pull the bolt back and put some oil around the rotating bolt head. Semi-Autos need oil to properly function.

Reassemble the gun and load it with fresh, factory ammo and run a couple of magazines through it. Remove the forend and make sure there is no signs of gas leakage around the cylinder assembly. If it fails to operate after that, PM me.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy may be limp wristing it.
Try it with a firm grip and solid shoulder hold.

It is common to cause autoloading shotguns and handguns to malfunction by not having a strong grip etc when firing. The limp wrist and shoulder allows the gun to recoil too fast and the bolt does not cycle completely.
Hotter loads will also cure this type of problem.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elathe:

It is common to cause autoloading shotguns and handguns to malfunction by not having a strong grip etc when firing. The limp wrist and shoulder allows the gun to recoil too fast and the bolt does not cycle completely.

That problem is more likely to occur with recoil operated weapons i.e., Browning Auto 5, 1911, Glock etc. The BAR is gas operated.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just box it up and send it to Malm. BAR's can make me want to pull my heair out if they are not fixed by thoroughly cleaning th egas system and chamber. I have a personal BAR that is giving me fits and I am sending it to Malm.

Plus he is already crazy, so if it drives a little more crazy, who would ever know?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one that was doing the same thing. I don't know what made the difference or why but I changed out the buffer strips on the end of the recoil spring, the one against the front of the receiver and the problem went away. Go figger.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with one in 338 Mag. He has to size the cases with one of those collet dies so the belt is within spec to get it to function correctly.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by elathe:

That problem is more likely to occur with recoil operated weapons i.e., Browning Auto 5, 1911, Glock etc. The BAR is gas operated.

Yeah I know, but I have seen this cause is a lot of gas operated shotguns.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
When a gas operated weapon fails to fully cycle, then it becomes either a problem within the gas system, or, a maintenance issue. Remove the inertia piece, action spring and guide and completely disassemble the gas cylinder. With the gun upside down, insert a wire through the bottom, or now, the top access hole, straight into the barrel through the gas port. Make sure the port is clean and free of carbon.

Reassemble the piston assembly. Make sure you have correctly positioned the piston and that it clears the gas piston stop pin. Make sure you have the correct gas regulator for the caliber, and make sure it and it's washer are tight. Reassemble the action spring assembly and oil the action spring guide. Oil the action arms. Open the mag cover, pull the bolt back and put some oil around the rotating bolt head. Semi-Autos need oil to properly function.

Reassemble the gun and load it with fresh, factory ammo and run a couple of magazines through it. Remove the forend and make sure there is no signs of gas leakage around the cylinder assembly. If it fails to operate after that, PM me.

Yep, the port from the barrel that feeds the gas system being clogged will sure cause some ejection misery. Make sure that's clean.

I'd degrease all the metal parts and wet them with Breakfree CLP. Put it back together wet.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These have a gas port that can be replaced if necessary. Make sure the recoil buffer is in good condition, they fail alot. I saw one that had the recoil spring broken and the spring began to screw itself together until the action wouldn't work. The very first one of these I sold (1967?) wouldn't cycle Winchester ammo, cycled Federal ammo flawlessly, who would have guessed?

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My BAR .308 was repaired last week and, as others have said, the gunsmith replaced the buffer. He also cleaned it. It has functioned reliably for many years.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
I took it completly apart and cleaned every piece throughly,and it will cycle fine for 5-10 rounds ,and then it will not extract the case enough to clean the the ejection port.

I assume you meant "clear the ejection port".

How far are the cases ejecting?
If they are not going very far, you may need a smaller regulator orifice or more powder.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jb,

You've already received much "Technical" advice on the BAR's operating system and it's maintenanace, hope that's all sorted out.

BAR's are extremely popular here on The Fatherland for Wild Boar Drive Hunting. The primary malfucntion symptoms of those I've diagnosed are dirty chambers, while not wanting to overlook the obvious in this instance - hopefully the chamber has been given a good scrubbing as well and the ammo being used isn't caked with "green crud".

Another of the "obvious"; although operating for several rounds after a cleaning would not be indicative of this issue. Is the BAR being stored with the action open when not in use for long periods of time? Had a military Buddy who stored his BAR cocked open for years while off on a foreign asssignment where he couldn't take it with him. Wouldn't work worth a crap when he tried it after that. Had to replace the Guide Spring.

Good Luck with your BAR.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
This past weekend,we applied some oil and it shot 3 magazines full with out a problem. Big Grin
On the first magazine,I did notice it was only ejecting shells a few feet out to the side,then the second magazine ejected shells about 10 feet forward . Confused
I missed where the third magazine went,but they were out of the same box and all shots went into about 1 1/2" at 107 yds.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'm sure as the oil worked it's way into the action it began to cycle better which will cause the empties to fly further. Big Grin Lets see a windmill or solar panel provide that level of performance. For the sake of the guns, drill here, drill now! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your sound advice.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM