New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering H&R Buffalo Classic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking of getting one in 45-70 and having it rechambered to 45-120. Anyone done this or know if the action lends itself to this kind of mod? I heard that it is an easy thing that requires no extractor mods, just ream the chamber and shoot, similar to taking a 357 mag to 357 max.

thanks,

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is fairly simple for a gunsmith to do.
The remove the extractor, dial the barrel in the lathe, and ream it.

I overloaded an NEF 45/70 handi rifle to about 80k psi [to validate my strength calculations] until the brass flowed into the extractor. That is the indentation of the extractor misfit. These are not fancy guns, but strong. The other problem was that at very high recoils [the gun was not touching my shoulder] the action popped open. I am suspicious that a stronger latch spring would help. This must be after the pressure went down, or it would have popped open much harder, per my calculations.

Here is the barrel exchange program and a forrum of H&R and NEF owners:
http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer I got from the H&R forums was that it can be done, but it's twist rate yields horrible results at the range and the 7lb Buffalo Classic is way too light a rifle for the 45-120. The recoil with either the 45-120 or the 110 with full loads will be as bad as the accuracy you will get. Some people are getting decent results with the 45-90, but I don't see that really worth the effort. I think I'm still gonna get one but will almost certainly leave it at 45-70.

good shooting,

[ 04-13-2003, 07:59: Message edited by: Ruger#1 ]

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote