Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortening Ruger Paddle Stock
 Login/Join

posted
I want to shorten the infamous paddle stock on my M77 but it appears the only way to do this is replacement of the 3/4" butt pad. Is there anything on the market that is only 1/4" wide. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I guess I should understand it is impossible to shorten the LOP on this stock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you'll find a "pad" much thinner, but you might be able to use a hard plastic buttplate, of about 1/4" thickness. Brownells lists one as a Universal Replacement Butt Plate, part #121-047-002 Small, #121-046-001 Medium, or #121-048-003 Large. They say you can grind/sand them to final dimensions, as needed. I'm not sure what size you'll need, but if you go to www.brownells.com and look for them, you can measure your stock & find the appropriate size. BTW, they list for $16.10 including screws.

It will only gain you about 1/2", but maybe that's enough. If not, you may be able to very carefully cut your stock down & then attach the new buttplate to fit whatever dimensions you end up with after cutting the stock.

Good luck!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What caliber is it? The reason I ask is that stock kicks me like a mule in 338, I'd hate to have to put an even thinner pad on it!

However, if I absolutely had to shorten it, I would build up the hollow in the stock with something like Marine Tex epoxy, then cut it. You would not have to fill the entire hollow with epoxy, but I'd go about an inch. Additionally, I'd drill half a dozen 3/16" holes and put pieces of threaded rod or just bolts in them, with a nut on the other side of course. Wipe the area down with PVC plastic pipe primer prior to applying the epoxy. Marine Tex comes in black, or you can add color to it if you can only get the white or gray stuff.

So that is what I'd do if I had to, but I think I'd first try to sell this stock and buy something else.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote