THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommended scope mounts for a Ruger 77 Mk. II?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A new rifle is about to move into my gun safe as an anticipated christmas gift from myself. The caliber is the old, reliable 30/06.

What scope mounts would be recommended for a scope with 50 mm objective diameter with a 30 mm tube?

Are the detachable mounts any good?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger mounts of course. There's none finer, and the their design is tops. If the standard mounts aren't high enough, and I think it will be close, then contact Ruger. I've heard that they will exchange rings for what you need, but have never done it myself. I'm a big Ruger fan, and think they make the finest factory rifle right now, with the addition of a good trigger, I think it's the best that can be had. The factory trigger can be worked to a fairly decent pull, but the Timney is fantastic. I bought three Rugers this year and am well pleased with all three. A new .243 standard 77 put the first 5 shots into 1" even, with the first shot being slightly out, the remaining 4 shots were in the same hole, right out of the box. A .308 Ultra Light 77 that is a solid 1-1/2" shooter at 100 yards with nothing done to the gun. I think bedding will improve it. An old model 77 30/06 is probably the best shooter I've ever laid my hands on. It will consistently shoot clover leafs if I'm up to the task. I did bed it and the barrel is floated. I've heard it said that the old Ruger 77s have the "best $7.50 barrel money can buy", well this one sure shoots like a premium Hart or Shilen.
So, I'm pretty impressed with Ruger's new (and old) guns. I wish you luck with your new acquisition.

[ 11-25-2003, 19:18: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

thanks for your comments. I guess I�ll go for the factory rings.

I have purchase over the last years several rifles, handguns and one shotgun from Ruger. They all have been fantastic with the single exeption of the triggers I usually change (in the case of the rifles) for Timney or Moyers. My last acquisition is currently with the gunsmith for a trigger job (1300 grams) which was included into the purchasing price. I�ll pick it up this evening and will see how it turns out.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote