New
Find
Notify
Tools

When was Bob Owen active as a gunsmith?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know next to nothing about Bob Owen and was wondering if someone could fill in a few gaps. All I know is he made some wonderful looking Springfield sporters!

Was he a stockmaker or did he do metalwork as well?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R.G. (Bob) Owen was also a talented photographer. He did the photography in Monte Kennedy's book on gunstock checkering.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
I know next to nothing about Bob Owen and was wondering if someone could fill in a few gaps. All I know is he made some wonderful looking Springfield sporters!Was he a stockmaker or did he do metalwork as well?

Robert Griffith Owen started making stocks circa 1919 and worked up to his death in 1959. Bob Owen followed in the tradition of the smaller gunmakers of England: Several people, each who were good at what they did, would work on the gun. The guns made at Sauquoit were inletted, shaped and finished by Bob. For the most part the engraving was done by R.J. Kornbrath in Hartford, Connecticut, some engraving work was sent to his friend August Heym in Germany, the checkering was done by Bill Snyder of Utica, New York who checkered for Savage and possibly Remington and was considered by many as one of the best checkerers in the business. On the early New York guns the metal work was done by M.S. Risley (1886-1968) of Hubbardsville, NY. (You may know him better as the “R†in .22-3000 R2 Lovell.)

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
R.G. (Bob) Owen was also a talented photographer. He did the photography in Monte Kennedy's book on gunstock checkering.

This is all new information to me. Can you share with me were you learned this?

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:

The majority of the pictures are credited to Bob Emmons. I suspect Vinje may have provided some or most of the Linden photos.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact, Bob Emmons shot the photography for Monte Kennedy's Checkering and Carving. See GUNS Magazine, Jan. 1990.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael and all,

My apologies. I am mistaken. I was thinking of Bob Emmons.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote