THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate life of Mauser military rifle barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm asking about the bazillions of surplus Mauser rifles that were imported after World
War II. These rifles' barrels were probably not chrome plated or otherwise given a protective finish or treatment on rifle bores.

What range of amount of factory ammunition and hunting reloads would these rifle owners expect "hunting" accuracy (4 MOA). Let's anticipate the owner takes care of rifle - cleans, lubricates, has improved sighting system, etc.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No Mauser barrels were chrome plated. Here is what they would do when new. From the DWM catalo0g, 1904;
7MM; 4.7 inches at 219 yards.
7.65mm: 5.1 inches at 219 yards.
7.9mm: 7.9 inches at 219 yards.
Somewhere I have a picture of girls at the Mauser factory testing a Kar98K with a machine; can't find it now.
You will have to shoot yours and see how accurate it will be.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springfield 03 and 03A3 barrel life is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 rds (+/-). I'd guess a military Mauser barrel would be close to the same.

https://bulletin.accurateshoot...=barrel+life+program

Posts: 738 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote