Find
Notify
Tools

Rail mounts for old Sako
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
Does anyone know of mounts or mount bases to put a scope with a 14mm rail on a Sako L61R? I have some rail attachments that will work with Optilok extension bases but the extension is from the front ring and the rail does not come back far enough to give me a lot of eye relief leeway.

I'm told the rail attachments would work with Picatinny rails but I can't find any evidence that one is made to fit the Finnbear.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Aren't there any European forum members who might have a clue about this?

Obviously scopes get mounted in Europe. Has no one even made a claw-mount base for a Sako? Surely solder has not been used as an answer to everything.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Go and look RECKNAGEL´s cataloque, there you could find claw mount for SAKO etc.

http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla/en.html

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks igorrock,
I've looked at that link; can only find reference to later Sakos and my German is not good enough to suss out some of their text. I can see some mounts in the catalog that look like Optiloks but nothing that appears to give lateral adjustment. If someone can see further than that, please let me know.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Could you send a foto of yours scope and those mount attacments ?

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to try sakocollectors.com. Lot of guys that know much about Sakos and parts.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
All SAKO's have the same dovetails, only the spacing is different. I purchased one of the Recknagel (sp) that was made for a TRG and modified it to fit a SAKO L461. It worked out great for my little SAKO, I had a hard time finding the right mounts and the ones that I did find had 20 degree offset for LR shooting and so that's why I used the Recknagel.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
igorrock, I've sent you a PM.

Small Cal, I've joined that forum but am awaiting the email to let me use it.

Rub Line, do you mean the spacing between the bases is different or the width of the dovetails?
If just the former, I'm a little surprised the same one would work on both the small and large-ring actions.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Rub Line, do you mean the spacing between the bases is different or the width of the dovetails?

Yes, the spacing (distance) between the bases is different, not the width.

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rub Line,
Optilok seem to have different bases for L461, L57 and L61R, as well as an extension front mount for the latter. Considering what you say, I'm now wondering why they bother and why Recknagel only specifies other models in the case of two-piece bases.

What modifications did you have to do to make the TRG mount fit the Vixen?

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why several manufacturers list different bases (even two piece bases) for SAKO's.

I love SAKO actions and have owned several of them, my only complaint with SAKO is the machined-in dovetail bases because it makes it a real pain to change the setup. When Magnum Research made the Mountain Eagle with the L691 action, they profiled the top of the receiver to match a M700, so any M700 bases would work on it. To me, that is how I wish SAKO would have built all of their receivers but it's a flaw that I can live with.

On the Recknagel, the rear of the rail had a slot and screw, I relocated the screw hole and shortened the rail. I ordered this for a large action SAKO project but went a different route, this was laying around so I used it on my little varmint rifle, IIRC I ordered it and it shipped straight from Recknagel in Germany.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Rub Line,
esp. for the pictures.

I like the fact that Sakos have dovetails but find the taper creates as many problems as it solves. For instance, with straight dovetails (assuming some other means of stopping movement under recoil), the Optilok extension mount could be reversed to give the extra eye relief if I needed it. Also, the taper makes it harder to employ mounts with lateral adjustments.