New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubba'd scope base holes on G33-40
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a G33-40 receiver with the front scope base holes drilled over the locking lug. I am considering tig welding the holes up and re-drilling in the proper place. I think that it would be best to reharden the receiver. Who does rehardening? Would a color case job do the trick? Mori

Posts: 59 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple done by Pacmet. Quick turn around, no problems.

http://www.pacmet.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A welding engineer and gun crank said there were two rules about welding on a receiver ring...No 1...don't do it and No 2 don't do it.

After welding, all the rehardening tricks in the world will not rearrange the grain sructure back to the way it should be...You'll just have a casehardened weld with all the speghetti bowl grain structure.

Reaming and driving in a taper pin is safer. You can then make custom bases to utilize the un-offending hole, then drill and tap where proper.

If you feel some need to re-heat treat, nothing is really lost. In the quench, the taper pin will harden and strenghten the void

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add to what Duane said and that is the new bases will cover the pin. You wouldn't have to recase then.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'd use it the way it is. It's not the best way to do it but many have been done that way and they work.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is actualy the problem???????

Eksperts often aprove that you weaken the support for the lower lug by up to 50%. Even that the lower support already is apx 30% weaker than the upper support.

Drilling a 3mm hole in the upper lug support, weakens this by less than 5%

Even if it is drilled near the edge it realy doesn't matter as the upper lug is split excactly where this hole is, so it doesn't even reduce the bearingsurface.

The original Mauser design gives you an action where the action is 30% weaker on the lower support than the upper support. But the bolt is apx 30% stronger on the lower lug Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

This is just a question I made myself for a long time. And, finally, I think making a screw hole in the middle of the upper locking lug support in a Mauser Action, really doesn´t make it any weaker. Because it works like an arc structure. Am I wrong?

Thanks

PH

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll weigh in anyway....

It would seem that a hole in the middle of the lug would give the soft(unhardened) core metal a convenient place to flow if the hardened shell began to fail, as when the lug tries to set-back.

I would think that a properly fitted pin would restore most of the strength.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Belive me
a base hole in the upper lug support, has NO negative effect what so ever, on the overall strength of a m98/96/93/g33-40 action.
Based on the already mentioned dimentions problems.

If anyone is afraid of this issue, they should go for a modern action instead, and not spend anymore on thinkering around actions with crf, and their lack of casehead support.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A properly fitted screw will make it almost as strong as it is without the hole. Use it the way it is and don't lose sleep over it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote