THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Looking for replacement 3-leaf for Whitworth Express

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for replacement 3-leaf for Whitworth Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I am looking for a replacement 3-leaf sight for a Whitworth Express. The current sight is the standard Whitworth with three folding leaves. I can't keep any of the leaves up without them getting bumped back down! I want to replace the factory sight with a 3-leaf sight that has one standing and two folding. I am hoping that I can find a drop-in replacement. Anyone have suggestions?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, Sarco sells original Whitworth sights.

NECG has standing/folding sights but I'm not sure if the dovetail sizes are teh same.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

At least they have in the past because I have a couple down in my parts box.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by z1r:

QUOTE]It is an early version of the Whitworth made in England. It has the original sights but all three leaves fold. There is no standing leaf. Did Interarms later offer these with sights that had a standing leaf and two foldting?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sarco has the sight you want. it is a whitworth with 1 standing and 2 folding leafs. I have one on my .458 and one on a 7x57 and the function just fine.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no standing leaf. Did Interarms later offer these with sights that had a standing leaf and two foldting?

I believe they did.

Just checked the ones I have installed on my rifles are the 1 standing 2 folding.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I went to the website and bought what I needed. Thanks. There were both types:

I have two very early Whitworths marked Whitworth Rifle Company and proofed in England. They both have original sights with 3-folding leaves. The more traditional 1-standing with 2-folding leaf sight must have come later.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grenadier: I have two very early Whitworths marked Whitworth Rifle Company and proofed in England. They both have original sights with 3-folding leaves. The more traditional 1-standing with 2-folding leaf sight must have come later.

Correct

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote