New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 70 recoil pad.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to add about an inch to an older Winchester Model 70 and was wondering if anyone made a recoil pad with the tit at top? I would rather not have to cut the stock, anyone ever use a Slivers pad on one? Thanks,

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
The Silver's pads are pretty hard and they get harder with age.

Try the London Guns pad from Brownell's. They are cheaper and a damn good pad. They also have the tit, but it's bigger than the Winchester factory buttplate tab. So you will have to inlet for it.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir, I'll look into them. MP

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael, here's an alernative. If I have a pre-64 with a uncut stock in good condition that I want to shoot, I find another stock that already has a pad. Not only does it allow me to put whatever pad and length I want, I don't worry about a scratch or two.

Uncut pre-64 stocks are pricey to buy. Ones with pads are much cheaper. You can find cut stocks on E-Bay, although that seems to be a top dollar marketplace. I've found them at gunshows for under $100, often way under. If you're like me, a few stocks like that can cover an entire collection of Model 70s. I shoot one for a while, then another. When you're done scratching that itch, peddle the extra stock to the next guy and get your money back.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Mark makes a good point.

Another alternative would be a slip/lace/velcro/ on pad. Cabella's sells a nice leather covered slip on pad.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
Michael, here's an alernative. If I have a pre-64 with a uncut stock in good condition that I want to shoot, I find another stock that already has a pad. Not only does it allow me to put whatever pad and length I want, I don't worry about a scratch or two.

Uncut pre-64 stocks are pricey to buy. Ones with pads are much cheaper. You can find cut stocks on E-Bay, although that seems to be a top dollar marketplace. I've found them at gunshows for under $100, often way under. If you're like me, a few stocks like that can cover an entire collection of Model 70s. I shoot one for a while, then another. When you're done scratching that itch, peddle the extra stock to the next guy and get your money back.

Mark,
You make a good point, however the stock has been modified when it was rebarreled and it’s a keeper. I need a little more LOP and a recoil pad would help as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael, I understand about the modified stock. Since it's already modified, the original value is gone. I'd go ahead and cut it back to clean up the widow's peak and put the pad of your choice on it.

Another alternative is the one Roger Kehr mentioned, a leather slip on. Of all the ones I've tried, I like the Brauer pad the best. It's thin leather (keeps it from looking like an oversized boot) and laces at the bottom. It's available from Brownell's for less than $20. The actual padding is a little skimpy but you can add more. The lace on pads can give a rifle a retro look that I like. You may disagree. Stay away from the slip on rubber pads. The rubber has a bad habit of pealing off stock finish if left on too long.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote