Find
Notify
Tools

A-bolt recoil pad removal help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
Do you guys have any tips to remove a factory recoil pad from a wood A-bolt stock. Removed the screws and the pad seems to be glued. Was going to put on a Sims for my brother in law. Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's like a lot of Sakos, it's glued on. Use a saw to remove the rubber, down to the black, hard plastic backer. Then carefully play a torch, with the flame adjusted fine, over the exposed surface of the backer. Go slowly and carefully so that you don't scorch the stock. The heat will break down or soften the glue and then the backer will come off easily.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe they are glued on just take a plastic mallet and hit the pad a few times and it should come off. All the ones I did were not glued.
Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Well I got the soft rubber off with a filet knife - it was glued - but the pad is a prefit and the black backer is under the same finish as the wood stock. The new pad would fit better if the backer were removed. If I heat the backer with a torch will the finish soften and seperate with the backer or what. It has the high gloss finish. Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Ron you were right on the money. I used a grill lighting torch to heat the backer and it came off without damage to the stock finish. I would've bet the finish would have cracked when that backer came off but it didn't. Looks great now! Thanks again, Louis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just took a factory recoil pad off an old Browning BAR that was glued. I sawed through the pad and then peeled off what was left.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote