New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa barrel threads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do the Howa rifles have the same barrel threads as a '98 Mauser? Someone ask me and I thought I would exploit you a bit. Thanks.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MrUReasy--

They aren't even close. I don't have the notes on the Howa close by, but they are completely different.

<DuaneinND>
posted
The howa threads are metric- works out to something like 16.93 tpi

<Kboom>
posted
1.5X26mm

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Brownells, HOWA uses a M29 x 1.5 Metric thread.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howa threads seem close enough to recut to 16tpi.

Anyone tried this?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just threaded a barrel for a Howa last week and the thread was M26x1.5mm. Had to do it on my South Bend 9" because it is the only one I have metric gears for. Anyone have a set of Metric gears for a South Bend Heavy 10?

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I removed the barrel from a new Howa 1500 300WSM. Screwed in a Model 70 Win barrel. Good fit though Major thread diameter of Howa is about .0020 larger.

Wally

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallyw:
Today I removed the barrel from a new Howa 1500 300WSM. Screwed in a Model 70 Win barrel. Good fit though Major thread diameter of Howa is about .0020 larger.

Wally

Why would you do that?

Howa barrel quality is superior to anything Winchester.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Clio Gun Shop you're in luck because you don't need metric change gears to cut a 1.5mm pitch. Set up your machine to feed .059 per revolution.
1.5mm pitch=.059. My machine set to A-5 is .060 per revolution (.001 difference per revolution & .009 difference for the length of the threaded portion of the boss which is +/-.600) The trick is DO NOT DISENGAGE THE HALF NUT after you have begun threading. My machine has a set of metric gears but I decided to try what I just told you after doing the math & it worked fine.
Jut remember don't disengage the half nut. When you get to the end of the cut back out FAST, reverse your machine to the starting point & take another cut; repeating the process till the threads are cut full depth.

[ 06-06-2003, 16:03: Message edited by: D Humbarger ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
quote:
Originally posted by wallyw:

Wally

Why would you do that?

Howa barrel quality is superior to anything Winchester.

Why because I had an old Winchester barrel handy. Wanted to confirm my suspicion that Howa really has 16tpi threads. Howa action to get a 6.5 Shilen.

Wally