New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a new stock for my 1909 Argentine Mauser, and I'm considering Great American Gunstocks in Yuba City, CA.

Has anyone had experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

Leo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used five or six of their stocks over the years,they were all pretty good as far as inletting and shaping goes. Wood quality was also good. I'll buy from them again.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
GAG and I parted company on the outs. Their money back guarantee is worth spit.

Nevermore.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LeoCal,

I have not used them but did talk to them. I have bought two blanks in the last couple of weeks for projects I'm starting, both California English walnut and near exhibition grade. I bought one blank from Sharron Dressler and that blank is going to a guy in PA by the name of Mike Kokolus, he came highly recommened and doesnt charge an arm and leg. I got both good and bad from the guys you inquired about. I also bought a blank form Wrights but not sure who is going to turn it. Waiting on the one I just sent out to see what I get. I can give you Mikes number if you like, he is a good guy to talk to about buying blanks and etc.

I can say this, I also bought a Boyd $65 dollar laminated stock for my mexico whitetail gun that gets beat all to heck in my jeep for 65 bucks, a very nice classic stock for the money. I was really suprised, I'm not much on laminated stocks for but its going to be cheap fun to finish/bed and make shoot.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I have read many posts for and against GAG as well as Richard's Microfit...who else is out there that cuts blanks?..I have not dealt with Acrabond..now Serengeti, what about them? Any others?

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent Henry a 24" barreled action from a Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 9.3x62. My only instructions were to use English walnut and stick with the original pattern. I got this in return.

He did the fitting, shaping and bedding; as well as the buttplate, cap and tip. After I did the finish, I sent it back to him for the checkering. This was the 4th stock he has done for me.

As with any shop, you get what you pay for. Don't expect a $3,000 stock for $300. If you are not satisfied that your instructions were met, send it back. If you plan on doing most of the work yourself, don't get in over your head. Most of all, remember that stocks on the "bargain list" are there for a reason.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have done business with henry and can only say, use a credit card so you can charge back if the stock does not work out..i had serious issues with his wood grading system also i was told he had a stock in inventory only to wait 3 months for shipment..but my gunsmith has had very good experiences with him

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
<SDH>
posted
To bad they didn't use Englih walnut.

one of us
posted Hide Post
his wood grading is very optimistic, his guarantee isn't worth the paper it is printed on and you will find out that you are always wrong and ignorant.

if you are just looking for a factory grade semi inlet then you might be happy with his products.in that regards he is no better or worse than richards or boyds.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought two stocks from him in the last three months and love both of them. I am pleased and will do business with him again. I will say that I probably killed him with the details of what I was looking for. I will be done with the first one in about a month and cannot wait.
Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I like Henry and his work.

His stocks are NOT something to brag about 90% of the time, but they are straight in inletting and reasonable in price

jeffe

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hm2,
This has nothing to do with gunstocks, but with a handle like that, were you a corpman?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a corpsman. I got way more than I paid for from Henry. A great 2nd in highly figured English for $100. It had a small opening at a small knot on the bottom of the butt stock. Easily filled.

Posts: 25 | Location: michigan/texas | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no i wasn't, just my initials,hmm, in another form.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
U.S. Navy 1961 thru 1964. Corpus Christi Naval Hospital and NAAS New Iberia, LA. Got out the day of the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Lucky me.

Posts: 25 | Location: michigan/texas | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote