Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Woes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
this season I had one of my loaner rifles - a custom built Mauser with an aftermarket trigger - fail due to trigger issues.
So I am looking for a rugged, dependable trigger.
I can go to an older issue Mauser trigger but I know a guy living here in Alaska who is building M-70 style triggers for M-98 Mausers. I looked at them and they appear to be very well built. I certainly like the openess and simplicity of them.
Anyone have any experience with the Alaska Arms triggers?
they have a web www.alaskaarmsllc.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Phil, don't know about the Alaska Arms triggers but I'm very happy with the Blacburn trigger on my MK X. Don't know if they are available from Swift now that Ted is retired.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nifty design. It begs the question though, if it's for use in a loaner/beater rifle why not just go back to a military 2-stage trigger? Rugged, reliable.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
Looks like a nifty design. It begs the question though, if it's for use in a loaner/beater rifle why not just go back to a military 2-stage trigger? Rugged, reliable.

For the same reason that some top African PH's order rifles from D'Arcy Echols to use as loaners -- because we have to go in and clean up any messes they make.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:

For the same reason that some top African PH's order rifles from D'Arcy Echols to use as loaners -- because we have to go in and clean up any messes they make.

I'm putting that in my signature line! Big Grin

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
this season I had one of my loaner rifles - a custom built Mauser with an aftermarket trigger - fail due to trigger issues.
So I am looking for a rugged, dependable trigger.
I can go to an older issue Mauser trigger but I know a guy living here in Alaska who is building M-70 style triggers for M-98 Mausers. I looked at them and they appear to be very well built. I certainly like the openess and simplicity of them.
Anyone have any experience with the Alaska Arms triggers?
they have a web www.alaskaarmsllc.com

I have a set of their rings which are really well built.

That trigger looks like an adaptation of the Browning trigger on the FN based rifles like this

Thanks for posting that, I really like the looks and design and will order one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Phil, don't know about the Alaska Arms triggers but I'm very happy with the Blacburn trigger on my MK X. Don't know if they are available from Swift now that Ted is retired.

I am pleased with the Blackburn as well. Swift shows them on the site.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with a Timney

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These seem like a tidy design that I have considered but have yet to try. May be another option.

http://www.huberconcepts.com/M...gger_Replacement.htm

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The Huber Concepts looks like a modification they taught us at TSJC back in the 50's. You make a plate that slips over the trigger with a set screw in each end and silver solder it to the trigger. Worked good and was inexpensive. Same concept except it looks like they have gone one better and put a ball bearing on top for the fulcrum. Should be a reasonably reliable trigger.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If I wanted it simple and fool proof I'd go with the blackburn or an FN single stage. Why add the extra parts?

Then again I've never had a Timney or Even a Bold fail me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the original 2 stage Mauser trigger is simpler, safer and more reliable than any add on trigger.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
This is an altered 2 stage military trigger. A temproy fix I did about 30 years ago to see if it works.The origional hard faces are untuched so no wearetc. A setting of liquid steel lifted the trigger past its first stage and a judicious lightening of the spring a 1/4 turn at a time has given me a trigger as good as the Timney's I have for hunting and it currently resides on my custom 7x57, albeit with a second finger piece cut and grafted to shift it to the rear of the trigger guard.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote