New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 22 Hornet (headaches)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Haven't done anything to these variants except maybe clean and oil a few. Now have two customs both had been altered to ...222 maybe? Clients want them back to 22 Hornet.

I've taken care of the bolt face, found an original extractor. But...inconsistent feeding. I suspect ctg. OAL is c ritical? Any of you out there gunsmithed these?

Posts: 3516 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you know this, but these used an inner and outer mag box with the feed lips formed into the inner one and the special ejector and spacer installed into the outer one. If they do not have these special Hornet parts, it won't work.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Has all those parts. but the followers are suspect...I think that's tricking me into thinking ctg. OAL length is a factor. This whole set up makes me suspect a patent infringement on Mr. Goldberg

Posts: 3516 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was a very bad idea to put that cartridge in a Model 70.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a minty pre-war Hornet around here for a long time, cycling the bolt faster helps with CR feed but some rounds just insist on being push feed. I have never found a reliable fix but the most dangerous game I've faced with it are those nasty little red squirrels,_I'll use the steel butt if it comes to that!

Posts: 132 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
I've had a minty pre-war Hornet around here for a long time, cycling the bolt faster helps with CR feed but some rounds just insist on being push feed. I have never found a reliable fix but the most dangerous game I've faced with it are those nasty little red squirrels,_I'll use the steel butt if it comes to that!

Do you hand load...what's the OAL? Have you fond a difference in reliable feeding?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane

Yes, I hand load. I just dug it out of the safe to refresh my memory. I ran my normal load of Sierra 40 grain, .223 loaded to a length of 1.735 through the mag. several times, they all fed fine. When I worked the bolt slowly the cartridge base would drop down and pop ahead of the extractor and jam with the bullet up and base down, but not every time.
I also tried some rounds I have loaded for my ZKW 465, 40 grain V-MAX loaded to 1.805, they fed every time,(today) fast and slow?

My speer handbook lists max cartridge length as 1.723 so my hand loads are longer than spec. I don't recall ever owning a factory 22 Hornet round.

Good luck with your projects

Posts: 132 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...this information is GREAT..and kinda confirms my suspicions.

Thanks for going through the trouble Duane

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Duane: Can you see any light at the end of the tunnel on this project?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much thanks goes out to he AR members that helped me out on this. Once I got some unaltered pars on loan, the fix was relatively simple.

We were able to purchase new outer and inner boxes (@ $500.00 a pop). extractor ($200.00) New mfg follower and spring from Jim Wisner.... feeds and functions perfectly.

The chamber mouth configuration is peculiar...that's about it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one of these in the shop about 2 months ago that had been converted to .222. Customer said it wouldn't feed. I think the inner mag was gone. Discretion being the better part of valor I told him I couldn't help him and suggested another 'smith. I guess over the years I've learned to leave some things alone.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, you just gotta pay attention to which side your bread is buttered

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Are you serious on the cost of those parts?
Tell me it is a joke.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Are you serious on the cost of those parts?
Tell me it is a joke.

Seriously? You think Brownells has shelves full?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Vietnam era entrenching tool that I lived with for five years now goes for well north of $100.00 on e-bay. They work great, and haven't been made in forty years. Same deal with many gun parts.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its called supply and demand, been around for a long time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Joke, ZIR And then....even the last $500.00 unit has been screwed around with just a little, but enough to reguire some touchy TIG welding on the ejector nose.

Life is full of experiences...now that I've had this experience, I won't have to do it again

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
No Joke, ZIR And then....even the last $500.00 unit has been screwed around with just a little, but enough to reguire some touchy TIG welding on the ejector nose.

Life is full of experiences...now that I've had this experience, I won't have to do it again

I know that feeling all too well!

I'm sure the owner appreciates ALL your efforts!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Probably could have picked up a beater Model 54 for cheaper than that.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 259 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
ismith

54's are OK if you don't mind altering the bolt handle for scope clearance (most were designed for open sight use) swapping out/timing of the safety for/to fit a M70 style, replacing the heavy trigger and bluing them to match. Then there's the possibility of clearance issues with an aftermarket trigger.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
ismith

54's are OK if you don't mind altering the bolt handle for scope clearance (most were designed for open sight use) swapping out/timing of the safety for/to fit a M70 style, replacing the heavy trigger and bluing them to match. Then there's the possibility of clearance issues with an aftermarket trigger.

My post was in regards to the magazine box and extractor, which should interchange.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 259 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My post was in regards to the magazine box and extractor, which should interchange.

Close but not close enough.

The extractor is the same.
The magazine insert is the same.
The magazine follower spring is the same.

The follower is missing the little rear tab to hold the spring in place so when you open the M70 magazine cover, the follower will fall out on the ground.

The magazine box is missing the bow cut and the hinge plate cut of the M70 magazine box.

Plus as they only made the M54 in the Hornet for about 3 - 4 years these parts will be much harder to find that M70 parts.

JW

Posts: 1453 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for chiming in Jim. Great info.