New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby question.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know that much about Weatherby's, so I'd appreciate an answer to this question if anyone is current on them. If it is a Mark V action and has a 26 inch long FLUTED barrel, does that mean its an accumark?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its a factory barrel...yes it is an Accumark.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow:

Thanks, the reason I asked is, it is in 7-08, which is not shown as currently being made in the accumark on Weatherby's website. Must be from a previous model. Do they have any identifying stamps on them?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

posted Hide Post
I remembered I have a 2002 Wby. catalog and they list a 7-08 Accumark with a 24" barrel. Model #AMS7M8RR40 with a suggested retail price of $1,455.00 (of course, no one pays retail). It should have a black synthetic stock with silver like spiderwebs in it, no checkering on the stock. If you have checkering and do not have the spider webs it is not an accumark. Weatherby like all other gun makers do not mark their rifles with any kind of model number. I think this is so you don't get upset when you purchase a several year old model at today's inflated prices.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I checked mine (270 Wby) and do not see any special marks. Stainless fluted barrel, recessed target crown, crown and flutes "blacked," CM receiver and floor plate also backed, spiderweb stock. I don't know what else to say other than Weatherby may be able to say based on the S/N.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily. Currently Weatherby offers the Accumark, Ultra Lightweight, and Super Varmint Master with the fluted barrel. In the past they cataloged the synthetic and stainless synthetic with fluted barrels as well as the Super Big Game Master.

Wby Rifles.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2004 catalog would indicate that it is probably the Super Varmintmaster as it is the model that comes with the 26" heavy fluted barrel. The Accumark comes with the 24" barrel. The SVM comes with a wider flat-bottom forend than the Accumark, which is like a standard forend. It also has the spiderwebbing overlay on the stock and appears in my catalog as tan with black spiderwebbing.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. After close inspection of the pics, I'm pretty sure it is the Super Varmintmaster. I emailed the seller asking for the model, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I can buy this rifle NIB for $975, sounds like a deal, but I'm not so sure about the "varmintmaster" stock configuration for hunting purposes, albeit mostly Texas style stand hunting.

I'm not very lucky with 7-08s tho. I bought a Cooper in 7-08 a while back and it doesn't shoot well AT ALL. I called the factory and they were nice, suggested it could be the scope or the factory ammo and would fix it if I sent it in after checking both of the above (and it certainly could be one or both of the two).....I stuck it in a corner and haven't had the inclination to fool with it again.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Just to complicate things, the fore end on my Accumark is fairly wide and flat...

It is pretty heavy for hunting on foot.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to all that replied. I got an email from the seller, it is a Mark V Varmint, which I assume to be a model that is no longer current. It does have the sandy colored spider web stock and a 26 inch long fluted stainless barrel.

Also found one for sale that is Mark V Lightweigh in .308 with a blued non-fluted barrel, not the ultra lightwt. Obviously they don't make those any longer either.

I need a catalog library to keep up, apparently Weatherby sheds models faster than a hooker her clothes.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to be sure you're buying the real thing and not something made in Bubba's garage or at Jethro's Custom Gun Works - call or e-mail Weatherby in California and they will get you the history from your SN. Sounds like a Super Varmint Master. The fore end is wider than the mid section of the stock and it should have a .835" muzzle I believe. The stock would be desert spiderweb only.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote